Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Regional differences in Benjamin Moore Paints?

I was reading the forums and I saw some mention about Benjamin Moore being Vinyl Acrylic instead of 100% Acrylic. I live in Canada and the top end BM paint (Collection Series) is 100% Acrylic Latex. I believe most of the other BM lines are too. This set off my curiousity so I then went to the US site and check the TDS for the BM Regal line as well as most of the other paint lines. Sure enough, every interior paint product line they have except for the Eco Spec series is an Acrylic Blend. I know this is a long shot but would anyone have any idea why would the US distribution be Primarily Acrylic Blends instead of 100% Acrylic like in Canada.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
VOC's were my first thought too.
Damned EPA! They canned the worlds best boat bottom paint too.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I think it's because Canadians are more discriminating customers than their american couter-parts. Tons of paint companies have lines with 100% Acrylic paints. Pratt and Lambert Accolade and California Fresh Coats come to mind. Ben Moore spends their money on Advertizing and Distribution. Because they know that Americans are sheep that suck up to advertizing and become Brand-Name gluttons. When customers demand Ben Moore - I roll my eyes, but I give 'em what they want anyways. Why fight with them to try and educate them about the differences of quality. If I tell 'em that Ben Moore isn't that great of quality - they think I am nuts. So I shut up, and use Ben Moore. And that makes the customer happy, because you know - The customer is always right. Even though in the back of my mind, I know they're usually wrong.

-PlainPainter

1 - 5 of 5 Posts