41 - 43 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts

·
Non-conformist
1,581 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Adam, it got us a little off topic, but so very true. I'm sure that post will be very helpful here.

·
Fortune and glory, kid.
2,284 Posts
Well, I still haven't gotten around to part two, but I did come across this interesting application today.

I have been reading several articles on this site and they are quite good, very accessible.

This application is for Widows XP users, and adds the functionality that MS has attempted to add to Vista/Win7 (UAC, User Access Control). This functionality has existed in Linux for forever and is a big part of it's security.

The article does a fine job of explaining things so no need for me to wear out my finger. :laughing:

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/surun.html

The functionality that this tool is trying to provide is the essence of computer security and stability, control the bits. Computers get slow and fail because the bits have changed, keep the bits from changing and you keep your computer from getting slow and failing (at least software wise).

Additionally, this app is Open Source, ie. Free Software, ergo free to use. :thumbsup:

41 - 43 of 43 Posts