Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Ralph
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,

I might not post often but turn to this Forum for very helpful information.

I've been asked to quote on removing Reflective Decals on Tanker Trailers. The decals have been on for about 9 years and the owners want to re-brand with new decals. I've been thinking on going down the chemical route but have been thinking on perhaps blasting with fine crushed glass. I don't think soda would do the trick.

Has anyone come across a situation like this? Any advise would be helpful.

There are a 30 trailers at this one location with two other locates with the same amount for a total of 90+.

·
Super Moderator
24,726 Posts
What's left after the heat gun should be easily removed with some elbow grease and Goo-B-Gone, Acetone or Lacquer Thinner.

·
Glen
1,504 Posts
Blasting with glass will work but it takes three times the material than just paint. Also you will remove the paint under the stickers and they may need to feather your edges and re paint the entire truck depending on how picky they want to be. Is this like a few stripes or large flat areas? You may want to start by razor blading it in to manageable size stripes and peeling with heat and razor blade scrapers. Soda by the way would work okay but cost a fortune and you still destroy the paint. This can be very slow in my experience. Some stickers when they are old just come off a small piece at a time instead of pulling off in long strips. It can be very laborious. I would first just do a substantial part of one truck before giving a price.

·
Ralph
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There is no paint under the decals. Large 3 foot strip that runs down both sides with one round decal at the rear. I'm going to do a sample test on that with chemicals. If I do a test blast with glass I might have to do the whole area so it will blend in.

·
Trial and Error Opperator
2,018 Posts
Try taking a wall paper pricker to it first Sell at sherwin Williams Looks like a computer mouse with a ball in it that has little pins on it Roll it over the area a few times before applying the chemicals, it will allow it to sink under the hard surface. Works good on wall paper. Same idea

1 - 10 of 10 Posts