Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

· Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This could be a questions for you painters out there. I have re painted old existing kitchen cabinets a few different times and I have never been happy with the end results.

So my question is what would be the best process for re painting old stained cabinets and getting a new looking finish?

· Radical Basement Dweller
101,966 Posts
If I had to paint stained cabinets I would probably opt for spraying lacquer.
The key to getting a great final result is in the amount of prep done before applying the finish, regardless of the type of finish you go with.

· Registered
4,231 Posts
I did this on my personal home when I redid my 20 year old kitchen, & used old cabs for my fin bas bar. I first wiped down surfaces with a marron scotch pad soaked in laquer thinner, or acetone, depending on original finish. This evened/thinned out to finish at chipped/damaged areas, so the top coat would be seamless. I then block planed/sanded any bad edges. Then I stained edges, & scratches as needed to get a uniform look in stain tone. Then it was a one coat with Aqua Coat wb finish. They turned out looking like new! :thumbup:

Joe

· The Duke
15,100 Posts
Yes of course. Leo and I use it exclusively. MagnaMax is a great Lacquer. The other stuff I haven't seen but I'm guessing it is a vinyl sealer.

It's potent. Not sure you'd want to use it inside on a customers home unless they are gone for a week.

· Administrator
Sawdust follows Me Everywhere
116,970 Posts
You want a new look finish. You are going to have to strip the old finish off.

· Administrator
116,970 Posts
Yes of course. Leo and I use it exclusively. MagnaMax is a great Lacquer. The other stuff I haven't seen but I'm guessing it is a vinyl sealer.

It's potent. Not sure you'd want to use it inside on a customers home unless they are gone for a week.
I haven't used MM in over a year. I switched over to MagnaKlear and had a few issues and now it's Krystal.

· Administrator
116,970 Posts
Essentially the same thing as stripping. You are getting down to bare wood, only the easy way :w00t:

· The Duke
15,100 Posts
I haven't used MM in over a year. I switched over to MagnaKlear and had a few issues and now it's Krystal.
I have used MM a few times and I like it, but the vast majority of what I spray is Krystal for clear and Resistant for opaque.

I don't know about the WVP stuff though. I don't use it since I don't re-finish.

· 30 year novice
1,136 Posts
Boom

If that lacquer is a solvent base I would not spray it inside a home. Vapors + flame = boom!!!!!!! :whistling Back to the original question. If you're going to go from a stained door to a painted one then this is what I do. Remove the doors and hardware, clean them very well ( I usually use a product call liquid sandpaper, it de glosses and pulls the grease and grime off), sand them well and repair any flaws and sand them when dry. I use BIN as a primer, it sticks to anything I've come across. Sand and then apply 2 coats of color, I use a latex eggshell paint for this. The final coat is a Target coatings product EM6000, it's a water base lacquer. I would not spray the BIN on site though, all my spraying is done in a booth.

· Da Boss....
488 Posts
Easy

Attachments

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.