Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to update my cabinets so they have a more modern feel.
I don't know cabinets any more than using them to store my dishes, however I would like to take on a (small?) project and would like someone to tell me if it will go up in flames or not;) ya know, a little guidance and a pat on the back from someone saying "you got this, girl!" Or a "yeah, no.. let the professionals handle this one" lol

I have what I "believe" to be maple cabinets? Yeah? No? Maybe?
At least from the research I did online about common cabinetry woods and wood species traits, etc. They are stained in an espresso (ish) color and are in good condition aside from normal wear and tear. (Pictures attached)

I want to strip them and refinish them in a much lighter color such as special walnut or dark mahogany to achieve the look of the example pictures that I've included as well.
I assume I can do all this while they are on the wall so long as the house is ventilated well? I would do the doors separately in my garage, of course.

Just looking for an experienced opinion. I also want to make a couple of modifications. There is a valance between the cabinets that hang on each side of the window... and I truly despise it.. can and how do I make it go away?

Also... I wanted to gain a little more space under the cabinets and would like to raise them a few inches.. is this pretty easy? Aside from the fact that your balancing heavy wood boxes(y)

Lastly, I would like to put glass panes inside some of the upper doors, it seems like many have accomplished this in a diy manner with a router, but I thought I'd check with some professionals before even bothering.

Should I just hire for this? And what is an average price range for this type of labor?

I am by no means 'unskilled' and kind of look forward to at least the stripping and refinishing, but my area of comfort is interior patch work and painting.. with some furniture refinishing under my belt. I just like things done right and have a hard time hanging over the reigns🙄

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
25,230 Posts
Thanks for posting on ContractorTalk.com. The Moderators of this forum would prefer that you post Homeowner and/or Do It Yourself related topics on our sister site www.DIYChatroom.com

ContractorTalk.com is designed for professional contractors to discuss issues and topics related to the construction and remodeling industries. Many of our professional contractors are also members at DIYChatroom.com and are looking forward to assist you with your needs.

Please take a moment to post your question at www.DIYChatroom.com If you're not already a member of DIYChatroom.com you can sign up for a free account by going to http://www.DIYChatroom.com/register.php/

We apologize for any inconvenience that this may have caused. This thread has been closed.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.