Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are their any others here that have had the same experience with these door? I just installed 24 new doors into a customer's new home and every one of them was the most poorly built doors I have ever seen in the last 22 yrs of installing prehungs.. they used 3/8"screws to mount the hinges which most of them were stripped, the cutouts for the hinges were not deep enough in the jams and they stuck out, cutouts for the door knobs and striker plates did not line up with each other, door stops were all too tight and poorly nailed. Its goes on and on. Just can't believe it....I feel horrible for the homeowner...

·
Registered
11,192 Posts
Tell Kuiken or whomever it may be to make it known.
When things are really business I notice the quality drop. Reeb may be moving through order to quick.

·
Registered
6,952 Posts
They have been that way for years, Black was that way also, Bridgewater wholesalers is slightly better.

Definitely should complain but not much will get done

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Yeah, they aren't that spectacular. Hinges not bored to a consistent depth, hinge screws not set or stripped out

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,985 Posts
I don't buy REEB interior doors anymore. Last order was prepainted and they drilled the latch holes 3/8" lower than what the knob bore was.
I sent them all back and the rep tried to say they were "in tolerance".

·
Registered
164 Posts
I started my career in a small prehung shop right out of high school in 86. I did that for over 10 years and became a production maanger for a while for a large supplier. The guy who taught me, was real quality control minded and that's how I built them. When I moved over to a larger company, it was all about quantity and keeping costs down, including wages. I've seen so much crap sent out and I've received crappy prehungs with issues you described. It's sad, because it really doesn't take much more effort to build them correctly.

·
Registered
6,952 Posts
I don't buy REEB interior doors anymore. Last order was prepainted and they drilled the latch holes 3/8" lower than what the knob bore was.
I sent them all back and the rep tried to say they were "in tolerance".
what distributor then?

·
Registered
11,192 Posts
I started my career in a small prehung shop right out of high school in 86. I did that for over 10 years and became a production maanger for a while for a large supplier. The guy who taught me, was real quality control minded and that's how I built them. When I moved over to a larger company, it was all about quantity and keeping costs down, including wages. I've seen so much crap sent out and I've received crappy prehungs with issues you described. It's sad, because it really doesn't take much more effort to build them correctly.
Yeah, I get all kinds lazy assembly scars...crooked screws on hinges, head jamb out of alignment with legs, stop all over the place.

Exterior too.

·
Punching above his weight
8,849 Posts
Man, you read my mind.

I just did (3) sets of double doors and they were the worst I've ever seen from REEB. So bad I almost bothered to call about it.
What's the point of pre-hung if I have to remove and adjust every single door?
Installed perfectly plumb and the difference in the tops of the two doors was over an 8th off. I mean, come on, man.
Also, their jambs are such **** that you have to shim every six inches to get the reveal to stay straight. I mean, give me the 11/16ths you're advertising at least.

Glad somebody made this thread. I was starting to think I was just being too picky.

·
Registered
17 Posts
We just installed a Therma-Tru front door with 2 sidelights. The center hinge was not seated properly and the screws were cock-eyed. The door jam trim had split where they shot a finish nail. Once we installed the unit the gap on the latch side was so significant that the latch barely caught the strike plate. Had to get EZ shims to move the whole door over and center it properly. Of course I then had to chisel out the strike hole a good 1/4" or more so the latch would seat completely.

I was told this wasn't a Therma-Tru issue but a Reeb issue as they assemble them? For $3600 I was disappointed in the quality control.

·
Registered
6,952 Posts
We just installed a Therma-Tru front door with 2 sidelights. The center hinge was not seated properly and the screws were cock-eyed. The door jam trim had split where they shot a finish nail. Once we installed the unit the gap on the latch side was so significant that the latch barely caught the strike plate. Had to get EZ shims to move the whole door over and center it properly. Of course I then had to chisel out the strike hole a good 1/4" or more so the latch would seat completely.

I was told this wasn't a Therma-Tru issue but a Reeb issue as they assemble them? For $3600 I was disappointed in the quality control.
yes, REEB gets the doors from Thermatru and mounts them in the jambs in their shop

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
I can't wait to install a 6/0 thermatru with 2 sidelites in a couple weeks. Looking forward to that one, it's from Reeb 🙄

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
John the Builder
16,993 Posts
Production doors - volume goes up - quality goes down.

How its always been.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Complaining to your distributor has an effect. Lines are dropped if enough consumers speak up and return product. Distributors don't want to deal with it.

·
Registered
6,985 Posts
what distributor then?
Didn't see this.

I now get interior doors through HD or Lowes.
They sell Masonite and I can get them with wood instead of the cheap fiber edges that the screws strip out on.

Sometimes they have the doors in stock and sometimes they don't. If they aren't in stock I tell the sales person I want the doors with wood and to order them.

·
Registered
6,952 Posts
Complaining to your distributor has an effect. Lines are dropped if enough consumers speak up and return product. Distributors don't want to deal with it.
People have been complaining about Reeb for years, it does not matter to them. They are the only show in town for the most part. Smaller companies like BWI are slightly better but take much longer to deliver and at considerably higher cost and must smaller selection.

When calling Thermatru they direct you right back to Reeb

·
Registered
17 Posts
People have been complaining about Reeb for years, it does not matter to them. They are the only show in town for the most part. Smaller companies like BWI are slightly better but take much longer to deliver and at considerably higher cost and must smaller selection.

When calling Thermatru they direct you right back to Reeb
I've called Thermatru so they have records of complaints before they send you to Reeb.

I'd like to add that their same day stain kit was a bust. 2 days to dry and pitting everywhere (followed the instructions to a T). And the finish looked like a thin coat of paint. Had to strip it and was offered another kit. They sent it to me and I returned it to Lowes for a refund. Painted the door with Benjamin Moore paint and it's beautiful. Everyone thinks it's a factory finish.

As to QC in assembly, the manufacturer has the power to pull the line from the distributor. I can't imagine having to fight with 24 doors like the OP stated.

·
Registered
6,952 Posts
I've called Thermatru so they have records of complaints before they send you to Reeb.

I'd like to add that their same day stain kit was a bust. 2 days to dry and pitting everywhere (followed the instructions to a T). And the finish looked like a thin coat of paint. Had to strip it and was offered another kit. They sent it to me and I returned it to Lowes for a refund. Painted the door with Benjamin Moore paint and it's beautiful. Everyone thinks it's a factory finish.

As to QC in assembly, the manufacturer has the power to pull the line from the distributor. I can't imagine having to fight with 24 doors like the OP stated.
I also used a stain kit last year and it turned out great I wonder if yours was on the shelf for a while or mine was? either way not consistant

·
Registered
17 Posts
Read inconsistent reviews before I bought it. Some people had the same problem I did, some liked it. When I spoke to Reeb, they didn't sound that surprised. Asked me if there was a exp. date on the stain. No? They offered me a new kit pretty quickly so that tells me they've heard this song before. Considering it was nearly $90, I took it. I certainly wasn't going to risk trying it again.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts