Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for some recommendations for a non-drying oil to be used inside redwood gutters. I looked around and a roofing shingle oil like Chevron shingle oil seemed like a good option, but they only come in 5 gallon buckets and the nearest supplier is more than 2 hours away (despite being headquartered about 30 minutes from here).

Anyone have any other recommendations?

·
Registered
818 Posts
Mineral oil, tung oil, anchorseal? I don't know, never heard of redwood gutters actually.

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
From what I've read, you don't want to use anything that will dry and harden and then create a layer under which moisture will sit and rot the wood. Whatever they use on cedar shingle roofing would probably work is my guess. One manufacturer of redwood gutters recommended the Chevron shingle oil specifically, but it's hard to get for me.

·
Radical Basement Dweller
29,393 Posts
If you don't need that much, I probably would contact a supplier and find out who has purchased it recently. Maybe they have some left over and will give/sell you what you need.

·
Trees are Cool
195 Posts
For Fir gutters get them clean and dry, then coat with raw linseed oil, thinned out a bit. You could add some pine tar and some anti fungal drops. We call it special sauce. Needs to be done ever year. I don't know how it would be different with red cedar.

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Radical Basement Dweller
29,393 Posts
I know regular linseed oil takes forever to dry. Boiled linseed oil is pretty fast.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts