Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

red maple trees

3K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  Rio 
i need help

we had our yard landscaped 3 mos. ago and we have 2 six foot maples that don't look so good, their branches are drooping and the leaves are brown around the edges.

i wasn't home but the wife said that the hole that they dug was just big enough for the ball and they planted the trees like that. i wish she would have told me sooner :mad:!

our soil is real hard, compacted granit. should we dig a bigger hole to let the roots spread out or just water and not disturb the roots at this point.

i really don't know what to do. out of the whole landscaping job those trees are the only thing i really cared about.

thanks
I see it has been a while since you posted this. I am wondering how your trees are doing and if you did replant them.
I did want to comment that the 2X rule is a good one to follow, but not essential and not the most important consideration.
As has been stated, removing the wire basket from the root ball is important, but is often not done.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.