Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I am working on a commercial construction project in Los Angeles CA.
We have to cut a trench into the existing concrete slap for plumbing.
After the plumber is done we have to refill the trench and reinstate the concrete slap.
My question is how does the rebars need to be spaced and more important which building code is applied?

Thank you

·
Twisted Cameron
314 Posts
Take a look at the cut concrete does it even have rebar in it? I am not sure if Ca has some sort of code on that, but I usually put my dowels 24 inches on center.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That`s something like I had in mind, I just have a hard time to find any codes about concrete slap repair.

Asking the inspector is going to be my last resort since the local building department is not very helpful so far.

We just cut it and the slab has wire mash in it or more they laid the mash onto the moist barrier and poured the concrete on top of it with the result that the concrete sits more or less on top of the concrete.

Thank you

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
We just got signed off by the inspector. No wire mesh anymore, what they wanted to have done is.

6mil plastic on the ground.
1/2 rebar staggered so there is no greater distance than 16" oc to the next rebar.
Rebar needs to go at least 6" into the concrete.
Rebar is only anchored in the concrete on one side and ends 2 to 3" short on the other side.
We epoxied the rebars but the Inspector said we could have just hammered the rebar into a 1/2" hole which would have saved some money.
Also the epoxying process is required to be done while a Inspector is present which we did`t know for this kind of application.

What came out was that there is no real code, at least here in CA, which addresses this issue so it`s more or less up to the Inspector.

Thank you

1 - 4 of 4 Posts