Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Livin the dream...
6,624 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a job coming up where I need to demo a tile floor over plywood and then a job where I need to demo tile over concrete.

Recommended techniques and tools?

Many thanks... :thumbup:

·
Super Moderator
10,623 Posts
It can really vary depending on tile, age, installation, etc. We have used Sds quite a bit, but also saw with diamond blade, air powered scraper, and even a shingle lifter.

·
Registered
3,403 Posts
I've had pretty good luck with my rotary hammer, I have always used my bosch bulldog with the thinnest widest chisel I could get. For a bigger demo job recently I picked up a 1 9/16" Makita rotary hammer, that worked even better.

Dave

·
Registered
5,057 Posts
Spencer said:
I've got a job coming up where I need to demo a tile floor over plywood and then a job where I need to demo tile over concrete. Recommended techniques and tools? Many thanks... :thumbup:
We use the SDS primarily. Heck of a lot faster than hammer and pry bars like we used to do before I joined the forum. lol. Craig has a video about how he removed it with backer underneath. Cuts it into squares of tile and back then removes them.

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
the last time i removed tile over plywood i was damn near able to just pick them off by hand.

other than that, yeah i usually use the sds

·
Registered
514 Posts
Try Home Depot rental just after the first of the month, that's when they put their equipment up for sale. I pick up 37# Makita SDS hammers for $400.

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
if the plywood is also coming up, we use long prybars and roof rippers and just take the plywood right up with the tile on top. Skips a step. otherwise, it can be a PITA

·
Contractor
4,743 Posts
Bulldog with wide flat tile removal tip. Went over it w a 6"-7" diamond cup grinder to smooth everything down.

Screw the floor down afterwards for no squeaks down the road!

·
Registered
611 Posts
I had an 8 x 10 area once it was tile over ply wood. the tile was down really good
it was easier to cut around the tile and pull the ply wood up and install new ply wood
nicko

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
hilti te 706, just the right size not to heavy not too small, get the vulacan blade for the thin set.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts