Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,
Please offer suggestions for a new paint sprayer. I have an exterior fiberglass entry door to paint and will have additional projects both internal and external in the coming months. The SW paint can states, Airless, 1500 psi and tip .017" - .021".

Thanks

·
Registered
7,365 Posts
For occasional use, you can get something for around $400. All depends on how often you are spraying and what you are spraying. Not everyone needs a top of the line sprayer. I have a Graco 390 which works fine for what I do.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
For occasional use, you can get something for around $400. All depends on how often you are spraying and what you are spraying. Not everyone needs a top of the line sprayer. I have a Graco 390 which works fine for what I do.
Thanks Eric. I'm definitely an occasional user. I will take a look at what's available in the $400 range.

Thanks all!

·
Registered
319 Posts
Hey Guys,
Please offer suggestions for a new paint sprayer. I have an exterior fiberglass entry door to paint and will have additional projects both internal and external in the coming months. The SW paint can states, Airless, 1500 psi and tip .017" - .021".

Thanks
Get a graco trucoat on ebay and you can choose cordless or not. Easy to maintain and store. I got the cordless and use it quite frequently for several different applications. It is amazing how well this coats for the price and the cordless makes it very easy to jump around without interference.
http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=graco+truecoat

·
Registered
7,365 Posts
Get a graco trucoat on ebay and you can choose cordless or not. Easy to maintain and store. I got the cordless and use it quite frequently for several different applications. It is amazing how well this coats for the price and the cordless makes it very easy to jump around without interference.
They are nice for some stuff, but harder to control when you really need to move in and out if things like built ins. I noticed the weight, bulk and trigger type led to some awkward passes. Using a regular SG is much less fatiguing and provides superior control.

They both have a place, but if I were only to have one, it wouldn't be a Trucoat.

·
Registered
319 Posts
They are nice for some stuff, but harder to control when you really need to move in and out if things like built ins. I noticed the weight, bulk and trigger type led to some awkward passes. Using a regular SG is much less fatiguing and provides superior control.

They both have a place, but if I were only to have one, it wouldn't be a Trucoat.
It is definitely a work out for arm strength but like anything you can get used to it. When I do shake siding I do four passes to prevent the need for backbrushing and while this battery dies faster than I'd prefer the charger makes sure there is always a fresh one available. I love just about anything cordless. Even got a battery powered weedeater the other day and it works amazing for the $50 price tag.

·
Registered
3,955 Posts
Aren't those like homeowner/weekends tools? I can't see myself investing in one of those.

·
Registered
7,365 Posts
Eric, if the recommendation weren't coming from you or another established pro, I wouldn't believe it. Would you use it for doors, bookshelves, and other items requiring a smooth, professional finish?
Doors, yes. Bookshelfs, not really, simply because it's easier to navigate an SG attached to an airless. More of an ergonomics thing than a finish quality thing.

I picked one up after seeing some reviews from guys around here and it's been decent. Now, that said, I would never consider it a replacement for a full size pump and unless I'm doing something real small, I'm breaking out my 390.

Also, I have no idea how many gallons it can spray before it calls it quits. I guess what I'm saying is that it can be handy, but if you don't buy one, you may not be missing out on much.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
I long ago separated my painting into finish work on which I use my Fuji HVLP, and walls/ceilings/exterior work, for which I use my Graco Magnum, which isn't great but works fine for stuff that's going to get back-rolled.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts