Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to this forum, but I'm a carpenter in Lubbock, TX and about to get married.

With getting married, Im starting to think of the future more and more.

I am interested in reading some books/literature on starting and maintaining a construction contracting business.

I know that is a broad subject, but if there is a book out there that kind of goes into things like, bidding, taxes, employees, pay roll, subbing, etc; I'd love to get my hands on it.

Just in case theres a more specific book, my dream is to have a remodeling contracting business.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
25,948 Posts
I have all the above, Gerstals really helped me when I first got serious.

I just read Elements of Building on MDs recommendation, it was very good.

Reactions: uncleforeman

·
Super Moderator
23,773 Posts
Don't forget to do a little reading on...

Contract Law

Labor Law

Lien Law

Don't know how you are at speaking in front of people but a class in public speaking can give you a great deal of confidence.

·
Registered
53 Posts
try reading Trout "The New Positioning". Not a book about roofing or contractors or remodeling but it is about how to differentiate yourself from others. Might be a good adjunct to these other fine books people are referring you to.

Chuck
Masters Roofing
www.masterswa.com

·
Young-Guy Framer
551 Posts
The best all around general business book I've come across (and I've read hundreds) is the Personal MBA by Josh Kaufman. I went to business school, this book is far more practical than the entire four year degree. Also written in language anyone can understand, not textbook style BS that makes your eyes want to vomit...

·
Registered
4 Posts
As a reference for estimating jobs when you get started, check out "Residential Repairs and Remodeling Costs" by RS Means. It provides decent ballpark estimates broken down by trade and project. It also includes variances for different areas of the country.

·
Registered
593 Posts
I have the visual guide as well. Nice reference especially for stuff I only come across once in a while which I could use a refresher on.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts