Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any recommendations for a primer/sealer for a hoarder's nest? Sheetrock is off; the smell's in the studs. If spraying the framing will help, I'm going to do it. Similar I'd think to fire restoration work.

Thanks,

Bob

·
Registered
488 Posts
SW has a primer I think is called pro block that is for odor. Bin is the #1 shellac based primer the big downside to it is the smell is very strong. They have now come out with Bin Advanced that is water based. It has gotten a few pretty good write ups over on Paint talk but not very many because it is so new. Might be worth your while to look into it.

·
Registered
Remodel
30,228 Posts
Kilz Original will probably do fine. BIN is the gold standard, and it costs like it. Neither will keep the smell out 100% - that'd be an ozone generator treatment before paint, but ozone is poisonous.

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
Get a 5 gallon bucket for $200 (have them shake it up at the store) and a gallon of denatured alcohol for cleanup, wear a respirator, and get er done. Most of it will be dry before you finish. Charge em extra. :thumbsup:

·
Super Moderator
11,330 Posts
BIN or Kilz original. Add some vanilla extract to it and that condo will smell like you're baking a cake. :thumbup:

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
I'd look into buying a fiver or two of this stuff and using an airless sprayer to apply it. Then the studs can be drywalled over afterwards. Spraying Kilz on studs and then drywalling over it will cause a chemical stink (vanilla extract stink too) unless you want to let the primer gas out for a month before drywalling over it.

·
Read Only
16,993 Posts
What everyone else has said - BIN or another white shellac sealer.
My ex partner and I did a fire job, whole house - back to the studs, and the BIN did the trick. BIN Crew was brought in - they were fast AND prepared. Has to be every surface too - walls, floor ceiling, attic.

Have fun!:thumbup:

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
they were fast AND prepared. Has to be every surface too - walls, floor ceiling, attic.
Ya, you could coat all areas with Kilz or BIN. Kinda involved and messy tho.

Which is why I recommended spraying an odor neutralizer. I don't know what kinda stink problem you have, but if it's organic in nature, this stuff works, I've tried it in my home. The product I mentioned is sold to service companies that specialize in large scale odor problems. This stuff isn't cheap. When I posted earlier about trying it, I meant using 5 gallons of the diluted product. It's the consistency of water, so you could saturate the whole area fairly quickly and efficiently and let it work it's stuff. It might be easier than having to coat the entire area (every side of the studs) with a solvent based paint.

Hell ya!

Anyways...be the first...try it...report back.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts