Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 2 businesses; one local wood floor installation company and a 2nd that I recently started that is an online business that sells flooring to customers throughout the country..

I have yet to figure out a way to handle the calls from both businesses.. The most ideal set up would be having one cell phone that 2 different numbers ring to, one being my local number and the other an 800 number for the online business.. I know I can get 2 numbers to ring to the same phone via google voice.. However, my main dilemma is I would like to have 2 different voicemails (one for each business), and I would ideally like to have 2 different ring tones so I know which business is being called.. I am not sure this can be done.. So I am thinking the route to take might be to just get one of those cheap pay as you go phones for the 2nd business and then getting an 800 number that can be forwarded to that phone..

Does anyone have any experience with this? Any advice would be appreciated.. Thanks

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
I have an market expansion line from the land-line company. It cost about $20 a month, and something like 5 cents per call. They forward all calls to the cell phone. Perhaps you can pick up their voice mail service to handle the dilemma you are mentioning.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Dual sim card cell phones. They allow you to have 2 lines from your carrier. Since the carrier handles the voicemail you'll have 2 different voicemails. I don't think any of the dual sim phones are sold stateside so these are all going to be imported phones.

Dual card Samsung @ amazon
I had no idea these even existed.. Thanks for the suggestion.. Do you know if this ends up costing anymore through my cell phone carrier (at&t)? Thanks

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I have an market expansion line from the land-line company. It cost about $20 a month, and something like 5 cents per call. They forward all calls to the cell phone. Perhaps you can pick up their voice mail service to handle the dilemma you are mentioning.
Thanks for the reply. I actually have a landline that I don't even use.. It was cheaper for the cable/internet package to just get a phone too.. Heck I dont even know the number.. Only people that call it are telemarketers. I had thought of seeing if they could give me an 800#.. I will look into this too. Thanks again

·
Registered
9,177 Posts
I don't recommend it, since google grabs all your info, but google voice can do what you want, and offer transcripts as well.
How can you get GV to do seperate VM and still ring your phone? When I've tried before it would only go to GV VM if I didn't have it setup to forward to my phone, but if it was setup to forward and I couldn't answer it would go to my phones VM.

·
Registered
9,177 Posts
I had no idea these even existed.. Thanks for the suggestion.. Do you know if this ends up costing anymore through my cell phone carrier (at&t)? Thanks
All you would be doing is adding another line of service, and then just popping the sim card into the phone. I poked around a little bit more because I'm considering getting one and I'm not sure it uses both sims at the same time, in other words you have to tell it what sim you want to use and that may not allow an incoming call to the phone from the inactive sim.

·
Registered
9,177 Posts
Ok, this phone seems to be "Sim Active" meaning you can use both sims at the same time, which is what you would want for this. How much more you pay will depend upon your plan, could be $10 month, could be 30-40 a month.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I use a service called RingCentral. It has all types of features that create a virtual PBX. You can have it ring through to whatever phone you want or take a VM and email it to you. It also accepts faxes and emails them to you. They have all the phone & tablet apps as well.
Thanks for the reply. I will check this one out too.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
If you want two different voicemails for each business then you probably need either a dual sim or two phones. I use two different voicemails with google voice, one for personal and one for business. But for the personal message I assign it to each contact for family and friends, so I get two different voicemails for each number. But for two different businesses you don't know who's going to call, so that wouldn't work.

·
Registered
85 Posts
A few of my buddies use ringcentral. I know someone who does walk in bathtubs and uses around 40 or so ringcentral numbers that forward to one centralized number. Pretty wild.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts