Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Project Manager
2,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Bidding on a large exterior remodel (fasica, soffit, freeze, crown, etc.).

H/O wants to use their sparky, but asked for me to supply electrical fixtures - I have yet to meet this guy, but to keep peace, and it is a large job, I have agreed to (for now).

They requested two recessed lights to be placed above each garage door in the soffit area (which will have vinyl ventilated soffit).

Anyone care to recommend a good, mid-grade light for this application as well as a good, high-end light?

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
I go to Seattle Lighting for that, I know they're not in Pennsylvania, but find a lighting store like that and you'll find all sorts of quality grades of lights. They go from about $20 to $100 a light, generally the smaller the light, the more expensive it is. So a 6 inch can is the cheapest, 2 inch is the most expensive I think. If it's outside for a garage, they probably won't care for a high quality expensive light. But check the code, I don't know if they have to be covered or if they can have an exposed bulb or what, ask your electrician.

·
Electrical Contractor
2,411 Posts
H/O wants to use their sparky, but asked for me to supply electrical fixtures -
This is one of the dumbest things I have ever heard. :rolleyes:

Truly no offense to you, but WHY would they ask you to get the fixtures when you really don't know much about them??? (You're here asking, right?)

Why not let the electrician give some recommendations? Besides, this is a very basic request. ANY name brand can will be FINE. Pick the size they want. Show them the selection of trims from a catalog. Then they can go to a lighting store or home center and see them in person.
All the big stores carry Halo as far as I know. Look at the H7 and H5 series. Other name brands will be about the same. look at their 7" and 5" cans and trims.

NO, the trim does NOT have to be "wet" location rated. Most any trim will be damp location rated and that is what you are after. :thumbsup:

·
Project Manager
2,642 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Truly no offense to you, but WHY would they ask you to get the fixtures when you really don't know much about them??? (You're here asking, right?)
No offense taken....this is something I would not normally even touch, but the h/o wants to use his electrician....uncertain of who he is at the moment, so perhaps he does not have accounts or access to contractor pricing?

Million reasons why, bottom line is they came to me, perhaps because they felt I knew more about it than their own sparky, and I have no problem supplying and marking up fixtures....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts