Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It appears that Stanley redesigned their adjustable folding Sawhorses with outriggers, now making the outriggers out of a softer or more flexible plastic thus voiding their usefulness in that function (to me). I am now wondering If anyone has any suggestions regarding a comparable design, or an argument for use of another type?

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
The plastic stanleys have been redesigned and are now crap. I had an old pair for year, bought a new pair and the first 4x4 I cut fell and broke the cross piece that connects the legs (first friggin time I used them). I bought the metal legged ones and they have been doing ok for the last few months.

·
Wormdrive Operator
3,318 Posts
If what I have are the plastic stanleys, and I believe they are, the damn interlocking cross pieces always come undone. Every time I wanted to unfold and use them, I would have to push the fingerjoints back together. Pieces of crap. They are now breaking and I want good ones!

·
Talking Head
5,388 Posts
I like the ones the legs fold up into. Like this http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.jsp?productId=1288992&KPID=993214&kpid=993214&pla=pla_993214 I never really got into the plastic folding ones and the higher quality ones like that cost a boatload. I put a chunk of 2x4 PT on top and they're pretty rugged and you can cut right on them. If you're painting or need a longer horse, just put a longer 2x on there. It's important to check the metal thickness. I have a few sets that are good but one is pretty flimsy feeling. It's fine for a few hundred pounds on the pair but I wouldn't load it more than that. They're probably the HD ones.

·
Thread Reading Aficionado
1,804 Posts
I build wooden ones, Have about 8 pair in the shop. I use 20 gauge coil strap to secure every underneath inside connection and have loaded a bunk of 3/4" plywood on them, 3000#'s. Didn't move a bit. I use spruce lumber. extra light weight. If I weren't carrying a 20' utility trailer everywhere I would buy trojan for their collapsibility.

·
Registered
794 Posts
If what I have are the plastic stanleys, and I believe they are, the damn interlocking cross pieces always come undone. Every time I wanted to unfold and use them, I would have to push the fingerjoints back together. Pieces of crap. They are now breaking and I want good ones!

Man I agree, those things are junk. I can't believe they got past the design stage with that criss crossing abortion.
I don't even adjust the blade depth on my circ saw now, I just want to cut them to pieces!

·
Registered
4,565 Posts
I have five sets of the old Stanleys. And three sets of 2x4 wood horses I made ten yrs ago. Can't beat those old Stanleys. Saw the newer ones but never tried them.

Had several sets of drywall ''walk ups'' most of my life too. But too heavy/bulky for carpentry on the run projects.

Anyone use those yellow metal fold up ones I've seen in the tool section for yrs at the big box stores. They have adjustable legs too. I almost bought a set a few yrs ago but put them back.

Ive used the ones Eathan showed and like the looks of those Trojans. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
26,133 Posts
Anyone use those yellow metal fold up ones I've seen in the tool section for yrs at the big box stores. They have adjustable legs too. I almost bought a set a few yrs ago but put them back.
I've had a set of those metal ones for about 10 years. I use them when I need the adjustable height and leveling outside, usually when I'm setting up a table. Small feet, so they can punch into soft surfaces. Other than that, I like being able to set the height ofr what's most comfortable for what I'm doing. No problems with them so far.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah those old Stanley's were great for commercial carpentry/trim projects because they were light weight, mobile, and the plastic didn't damage finishes, and outside of the brittleness of the plastic in sub zero weather they worked great. The new ones use a softer plastic that buckles under anything more than 10+ lbs, so you cant even stack a couple pieces of trim on the outriggers while your using a cut table let alone set up a cabinet table on them... I'm honestly not sure why they even make them with the outriggers anymore since they serve no purpose. The Trojans do look great, but have no place on a finish phase project... Thanks for all the help and conversation, its really appreciated guys

1 - 20 of 37 Posts