Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
25,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Our kitchen sink (and dishwasher) is far enough away from the main heater that it takes two gallons and nearly two minutes to get hot water.

I'm thinking about installing a point of use heater (NOT tankless) under the sink in series with the main heater. Anyone have a recommendation for a good durable unit? I'd just as soon use 240V, but can go 120 if need be.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
What will you be using it for? Do you just need it for your hot chocolate? The Franke instant hot water and filtered water dispensers are nice, but they are a pain to install.

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
25,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What will you be using it for? Do you just need it for your hot chocolate? The Franke instant hot water and filtered water dispensers are nice, but they are a pain to install.
I make hot chocolate in the microwave. No, this is just so we don't have to stand there and wait two minutes before washing our hands or a couple of plates.

Rheem RTE - 9
Thanks Mike, but I specifically don't want tankless. I have yet to become a believer.

·
Banned
4,895 Posts
Stick with a small rheem. I'm not a tank less fan, in fact I hate them. But that's a great point of use heater.

Can you fit in a small tank type heater?

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
25,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Not only am I not convinced about tankless, I only have 10 gauge wire to the location. I tossed that in during my kitchen rebuild as a spare circuit just in case, and just in case has arrived.

Looks like I could fit the 6 gallon Rheem pretty handily, and that should have plenty of reserve until the main hot water arrives. Any caveats?

·
Banned
4,895 Posts
Not only am I not convinced about tankless, I only have 10 gauge wire to the location. I tossed that in during my kitchen rebuild as a spare circuit just in case, and just in case has arrived.

Looks like I could fit the 6 gallon Rheem pretty handily, and that should have plenty of reserve until the main hot water arrives. Any caveats?
How are you planning to hook up both and have them draw?

·
Banned
4,895 Posts
That's actually pretty clever Tin. I penciled out some scenarios. Forget that formula, it's irrelevant.

Obviously you will have instant hot water. As you use the water it pulls from the big dog feeding replacing water used from the little dog. Go it.

Recovery is complex because your water rise is unknown. Lol.

So scratch even trying to calculate it.

OK. So the water replacing the small unit is gradually getting warmer until it eventually turns hot.

Hmmmm, I don't see why that wouldn't work. You are really not competing temperature wise so it isn't gonna cause any problems. The beauty is, with this system the recovery doesn't really exist on on he small unit because the big heater is replacing it with hot water.

Dam, I'd like to put this in for you just to see it work. Lol

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
25,225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Recovery is complex because your water rise is unknown. Lol.
Yeah; it would be variable. I'm leery of trying it with only a 2.5 gallon heater because I doubt that's enough reserve to mix in 2 gallons of cold and have it keep up until the line is loaded with hot.

Input much appreciated, Mike. Now all I need is one of those elusive roundtuits.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts