Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I saw a bunch of you guys talking about bikes in another thread, so I figured you'd have some experience on this subject. I'd like to buy a small sized bike to drive to work because of gas prices and because I've always wanted one. I dont know if I should go for a smaller street bike or a buy a street legal dirt bike to be able to trail ride a little too (not that I see myself doing much trail riding anyway).

I'd like to keep it at or under 250 in size, a friend had a 250 Ninja as his starter bike and said he loved it. I'm working on a small budget and would like to buy an older bike to stay at or around 1k, $1500 tops.

I dont really want a bike for cruising, but I dont need a 'crotch rocket' either.

Something easy to ride would be nice, I have a lot of experience on snowmobiles and quads, but haven't riden any with a clutch or anything that has any real balls to it (except a few drag sleds, which are easy to ride anyway).

Recommendations would be great, pics help as well. A street bike would be my preferred style.

Thanks.

·
Flooring Guru
2,794 Posts
I was thinkin the same thing.
A moped would solve all the problems you seem to have...and hella great miliage.
A 250 would suck *ss just as much..

I figure a 500 Vulcan minimum if you want anything close to a bike that'll get ya laid too :)

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dont need a bike to get laid, but thanks.

Anyone riden a 250 Ninja before? Everyone I talk to says to start with one of them. Good prices, good milage, can still do 100+ mph if I want to...

·
Flooring Guru
2,794 Posts

Of course you don't. What was I thinkin :)

I doubt you will hit 80 on a 250.
I can only hit 90 on my 650.
But 90 is fast enough for me. Although I have been on the rockets and been impressed.

Just like any small bike, it is better on gas, and also more manuverable, so yes I am sure it's a good bike.
Although keep in mind, if your a big guy, it can look goofy being on a small bike.

·
Custom Builder
4,406 Posts
I guess we don't have to ask Flor about his size.:cheesygri

I had YZ250 years ago, don't know what the top speed was but I do know it was better than 100 and felt like 200, however, I think the engine was missing, the throttle seemed directly linked to the tire.:cheesygri

Bob

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
A 250 Ninja can easily hit 100 mph, this isnt a dirt bike, its a sport bike.

Just wondering if anyone has any experience with them, I guess not.

·
Registered
52 Posts
PPro said:

Anyone riden a 250 Ninja before? Everyone I talk to says to start with one of them. Good prices, good milage, can still do 100+ mph if I want to...

That is an excellent choice. It is perhaps the best starter bike out there. If you take the time to learn how to ride a 250 you will be so much better than people who start on 600s or literbikes.

Here is an article someone from another forum I post at wrote:

http://www.sportbikes.net/forums/articles.php?action=viewarticle&artid=28

Please take the time to read it. Ride safely and spend the money to get good gear.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for the info.

A guy I know has a friend who is selling a red 2000 250r this winter, I'm strongly considering that one. It was his learner bike, never dropped and has low miles.

·
Registered
7,005 Posts
I used to have a 1980 Kawasaki 1000 back in the day. What a blast!! However, nowadays here in NJ with all the lunatics in cars I wouldn't feel safe on a bike, not to mention all that riding was a contributing factor (along with 30 years being in constuction) to the disc problems I have in my back now.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
PPro, I think that you need to differentiate between your wants and your needs. Do you NEED to go 100 mph on a small, light bike? I'm guessing not.
Obviously, the smaller the engine, the less fuel that you will use and much depends on gearing. 4 strokes will also take you farther than 2 strokes. You can also hit 100 with only 100CC's, it will just take some time to get there.

·
Registered
44 Posts
PPRO go with the 250R...
Assuming the bike is a Honda XR 250 R. It has all the speed you want and is easy on maintenance.
The smaller street bikes will leave you wanting for more umph and confined to the pavement.
The dual sports are easier to ride and less expensive when you drop em.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Drop what? I've been riding for over 40 yrs. and never put anything down on the street. On dirt, I have lost teeth and awakened in a meat wagon 3 times.

Top notch equipment and alertness means everything. All my old road bros have permenant problems due to lack of attention. If you are new to scooters, I suggest that you ride dirt hard for a while. You will learn a lot about how bikes handle in a short period of time. When you can side slide into any number of 360's, come out in a wheelie and hold it for as long as you want, you MAY be ready to face a 90 yr. old in a Towncar in traffic.
On the other hand, you could just be roadkill.

·
Flooring Guru
2,794 Posts
Learning to pay attention when someone is pulling out into the street...
Not riding in blind spots....either ahead or behind...choose...
Learn your bike intimately....
Buy great leathers.......
Wear a helmet.....
Be afraid but have fun...

you will survive many years.....

·
Flooring Guru
2,794 Posts
My buddy that sits next to me has an 05 GSXR 1000.
Man I tell ya...that thing has the most power I have ever felt.
Went from 50 to 150 in what seemed to be 2 seconds...it was probably more like 3.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts