Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hate this POS hand planer that I have. Can anyone recommend a good one, or should I go to flea markets and look for some really old ones?

·
Radical Basement Dweller
29,429 Posts
Lie-Nielson makes excellent ones. Lee Valley another.

Getting a decent old one at a yard sale is a good idea. There are plenty of websites dedicated to refurbishing older planes and Hock makes superior replacement blades.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
A plane is only as good the the guy who sharpens it. But as far as I'm concerned if it's a blade and it's not Japanese, it's crap.

·
Finish Carpenter
4,999 Posts
You can make most hand planes cut nice, but it takes some time to tune them up and dial them in. You are still going to have to tune a lie Neilson.
This is the truth. I trued my stanleys. I always thought they cut real bad and/or I had no idea what I was doing, but it simply was I never spent the time to flatten the body/sole and hone the blade. Once I did that, everything changed. I use DMT diamond stones, 325, 600, and 1200 grit.

Here is a decent article on it....

http://www.woodsmithshop.com/download/407/tuneupblockplane.pdf

·
Pro
2,138 Posts
TBFGhost said:
This is the truth. I trued my stanleys. I always thought they cut real bad and/or I had no idea what I was doing, but it simply was I never spent the time to flatten the body/sole and hone the blade. Once I did that, everything changed. I use DMT diamond stones, 325, 600, and 1200 grit.

Here is a decent article on it....

http://www.woodsmithshop.com/download/407/tuneupblockplane.pdf
X2

Both the low angle and regular block plane.

The more you spend up front, the less you have to "tune" out of the box.

Although, the blade will still dull, so planer tune up is actually a good exercise.

·
GC/carpenter
43,902 Posts

·
Banned
3,075 Posts
They are still available but share a IRWIN badge.
I just went looking for a few more pipe clamps and looked at some IRWIN's. I saw the Record brand name next to IRWIN.....:eek:.....sellouts!

The clamps looked like chit. Tiny foot....tiny jaws....no pads on the jaws....and a new "feature", no threading necessary (I want my pipes threaded into the operating side).

Do they really think just cuz they bought the Record name it will disguise the fact that they are selling sub-standard crap?:rolleyes:

I ended up just ordering Bessey's from Amazon.

·
Registered
Remodel
31,102 Posts
Not covered in the block plane pdf is for planes that have a chip breaker, you have to make sure that is trued / deburred as well.

·
Registered
1,841 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I've certainly learned a few things here about block planers!

on a side note, amazon has made it much easier to buy things made in the USA.

·
Registered
573 Posts
There china made now. Not the same
Yes I understand that. I meant to put the ... at the end to denote sarcasm. :thumbsup:

Record was bought by Newell Rubbermaid years ago I understand. NR renamed themselves after another company they bought IRWIN. IRWIN over the past decade has been closing down domestic manufacture for Chinese plants. "To stay competitive" That was their excuse for moving Vise-grip to China.

Which I have a 10" pair of the first chi-com manufacture they forgot to weld the top jaw in. :rolleyes:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts