Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking to get a recommendation for a generator transfer switch that is reasonable in cost as well as any other input on them ?

Reliance or Generac in $300 - $400 range ?

Are these crap or adequate ?

·
Registered
8,045 Posts
Need more info. Automatic or manual? Whole house or just a few circuits? I like to use Cutler Hammer, but mostly because I have easy access to them.

·
Registered
8,045 Posts
Are you going to tie it in to your main panel or just a few circuits? If you are tying it in to the main it needs the same amp rating. You should be able to pick up a double throw switch in your price range. Don't know anything about Reliance, but I avoid Generac.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I got the generator from this set up.

Did some pre sale work on a house. This CH was the transfer switch. Had to put a couple of blank covers in it - was noted on the insp report.

I think this one is about $900 new ?? which is over my budget.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Are you going to tie it in to your main panel or just a few circuits? If you are tying it in to the main it needs the same amp rating. You should be able to pick up a double throw switch in your price range. Don't know anything about Reliance, but I avoid Generac.
Just a few circuits. Tied in with a 2 pole 40 or 60 I believe ?

Do you usually add an interlock on the exist panel ? I can see not using one ?

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Whoops - my pic of the CH shows a 2 pole 30 feed for the gen.

So in my main I put a 2 pole 30. That's what gets the interlock with the main cut off.

Must be a 10 wire gen cord.

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
24,951 Posts
I don't care for the setups that only give you a half-dozen circuits or so. Guaranteed, you'll wind up with one that isn't tied in and you really wish it was. Energize the whole house and use some common sense regarding what devices you run while on gennie. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I don't care for the setups that only give you a half-dozen circuits or so. Guaranteed, you'll wind up with one that isn't tied in and you really wish it was. Energize the whole house and use some common sense regarding what devices you run while on gennie. :thumbsup:
I may do that - then I just need 1 box to plug in the gen cord.

·
Electrician Los Angeles
10 Posts
I know this is now an old thread, but just as a suggestion for anyone looking at this thread for a reference, both Generac and Reliance make reasonably priced, small manual transfer switches.
We use Generac almost exclusively (but so far we've only installed generators using an automatic transfer switch), but I've read good reviews on the Reliance.

·
Banned
2,622 Posts
For occasional use, two sockets and a plug = a fool proof cheap break-before-make transfer switch that may last as long as those built for the purpose.
And sometimes a contactor with a 120v coil switched by a SPDT small switch is a cheaper way to go.

But don't get NFPA's panties in a bunch.:rolleyes:

If you get the specs on transfer switches, you can shop for the optimum.
Like,
Amp rating for a resistive load,
amp rating for an inductive load,
amp rating for a motor load.
You may get millions of cycles at these current levels.

Most of the time it may be switching less than 100A.

Digi-key and Grainger are good at posting specs.

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
I don't think them transfer switch's are available around these parts :laughing:
Every time i see a genny running on someones home they just have a 20amp cord with male ends on both ends plugged into receptacle. My neighbor had one running like that outside just yesterday :whistling

·
Registered
Butcher of wood and metal
6,792 Posts
I don't think them transfer switch's are available around these parts :laughing:
Every time i see a genny running on someones home they just have a 20amp cord with male ends on both ends plugged into receptacle. My neighbor had one running like that outside just yesterday :whistling
Good way to have some real trouble.

·
Registered
16,403 Posts
Around here the noise spec is less than 65 dB at the property line. Dunno' if it's enforced though.

BTW, the gen should be at least 15' from the house.

I had my DB meter out the other day as I was curious as to how loud it was and I'm about 20ft from it and it was 78db. It's also right at his back door.

I looked at getting a 3kw Honda but seemed pointless seeings his was so loud.

·
Registered
1,938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
There are several noise reduction methods on YT.

I'm seeing my customer this week about this job. More input needed then.

I'm leaning towards the Common Sense method....

1 - 20 of 31 Posts