Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Prowallguy can you help me?

Need to paint a new fiberglass entry door came preprimed what do you guys recomended for me to paint it with. Brand and Base :)

·
Pro Painter
2,314 Posts
For exterior doors I prefer to use SW super paint. As long as the primer is in good shape and isn't chalky, just give a light sanding and top with two coats of it. I don't know what you mean by brand and base, but usually the "base" you buy depends on the color you specify i.e. deep base, or extra white for mixing colors. Is this what you mean?

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Most manufacturers of fiberglass doors recommend an oil base paint. Read the instructions that came with the door.

·
Registered
378 Posts
Check the manufactures painting recommendation,some fiberglass doors need to be primed,but its not a bad idea even to prime the ready to paint doors.Thermatru recommends a 100% acrylic or oil based exterior paint.

·
Banned
1,539 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks will check manufacturers instructions on door. It cost me 500 dollars but it does look nice tripple pane round decorative glass in it. When I said brand i mean paint manufacturer when i said base i ment oil, latex, you get the point. :Thumbs:

·
Registered
348 Posts
100% acrylic latex

Use 100% acrylic latex. If the door manufacter recommends oil use a different primer so you can go over it with the acrylic. ICI Gripper is one choice. 100% Acrylic latex is far superior to oil base pruducts manufactured today.

Jim Bunton

·
Registered
106 Posts
Peace all..

I recommend SW super paint acrylic.

·
Pro Painter
2,314 Posts
Ahh, solvent or water based....OK! Wasn't clickin' when I read it earlier. I believe super paint is an acrylic latex enamel, but it will work just fine for that door, even without another coat of primer. Not that re-priming wouldn't be a bad idea, especially if they suggest an oil for that particular surface. I've personally never had a problem with a light sand and finish coating over factory primers if they're in good shape.

EDIT**left out word acrylic! :Thumbs:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts