Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Remodeler
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Not looking for any kits. Just a decent small circular saw to be used for light duty work. Something I can just grap and use apposed to my large saw. I love these cordless tools.

·
Contractor
46 Posts
MinConst said:
Not looking for any kits. Just a decent small circular saw to be used for light duty work. Something I can just grap and use apposed to my large saw. I love these cordless tools.

I have a dewalt 18 volt circular saw. I do like my saw, but the best advice I can give you is buy something within your price means. If you have other dewalt 18 volt tools then by all means get one. If you have Ryobi tools then get one like that. I have a wide variety of assorted tools. I bought mine in a kit. I wasn't setting out to buy another kit, but for the price in the long run the kit is much cheaper. Kits range in price. But for a $100 or so dollars more you can get triple the amount of tools you normally would have. This may no seem worth it to you because of the additional money. But, you will also have additional tools and extra batteries. I remember when I bought my first cordless drill. I told myself I wouldn't by one until I apsolutly find that I need one. So, I waited awhile. After I bought one I found that I always had a use for one. So, what I'm trying to say is if you have the tools, you'll find uses for them. Hand tools like drills, saws, sawzalls, etc. There's always a use. I have several 18 volt dewalt drills and hammerdrills. I didn't think I would even use the flashlight that came with one of my kits. Well, you know what? Damn thing comes in handy. The extra batteries that come in the kits are well worth it too. A battery goes for, i think now, $80 or $90. So if you going to pay a few hundred for a kit(some are more depending on the kit) or going to spend a couple of hundred on a saw. Smart money will by the kit.

I also have a ryobi drill and circular saw. I don't use them as much, but I got a really good deal on the set and coudn't pass it up. It's not as good as my dewalt(dewalt's got more power definitly made for a contractor) But it gets the jobs done.

What you buy is really going to depend on your usage. If you're going to use it all the time then spend the money and get something good. If you don't use it much or just on occassion then you can buy craftsmen. Craftsmen power tools are definitly made for the homeowner(basically means not used all the time). Although i have a craftsmen skill saw that treats me well.

·
Remodeler
824 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hello Hammertime,
The only cordless tools I really have are a dewalt 14V drill and the same size in Bosch. I don't know how well a circular saw would work at that power level but I don't like the weight of the larger drills and the 14V work fine all day.
My business is pretty new, but I do plan on getting very busy. I don't like cheap tools I'm too old to go down that road (learned along the way). Been there a couple of times and just won't go there again.
What I really want the corless saw for is like the other day. A small job. I had to cut a half dozen or so 2xs and had to pull out the extension cord, big saw and set it all up for a few cuts. If it were a larger job it would be fine taking out the CMS.
Thanks for the input. I knew a Dewalt would be a good choice. I'll have to think about the kits. After all my PC sawsall is big and corded too :)
I think the best part of carpentry is the tools anyway. I just love em!

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
I have a ryobi that came in my kit. It's nice if you have two batteries. Keep one charging while your cutting with the other and all goes well.

The only complaint I have is that I had to replace the spring on the saftey. No big deal really since the saw is 2 years old.

This saw is availiable in or out of a kit. I really like the kits so I don't have to have 40 boxes all over.

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
not looking for any kits. Just a decent small circular saw to be used for light duty work. Something i can just grap and use apposed to my large saw. I love these cordless tools.

my go to for trim and composite decking and hand full of sheet good cuts is hilti 18v. Smooth perfect balance and batteries that last. Hands down the best.
I do have the dewalt 18v but you get 1-3 cuts and the battery is 1/2 dead.

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
My experience is people buy in the order of, drill, impact, saw, radio, though radio may fit between any of those. For cordless saws, milwaukee has held out the best for me.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
I have a Milwaukee cordless that I got when ni-cads were in vogue.:laughing: Have used it for quite a few years even with the lithium ion batteries.

I went to use the li-ion batteries the other day and they won't hold enough charge anymore.:sad:

Went and bought the 18 volt Makita that goes with my drill/impact/ oscillating saw, etc. Made a few cuts. Seems to work well. Was only $99 for the bare tool.

·
Manager/Diplomat/Builder
331 Posts
I bought the Milwaukee cordless saw about 2 months ago and have been very happy with it. Battery life with the XC batteries is pretty good!
My co worker has the Makita saw, with his 3ah batteries it still makes quite a few cuts on one charge. They both have ok tables with measuring marks that are accurate enough for general work. The Makita table is a little sturdier then the Milwaukee, however, the blade guard on the Makita is plastic, not metal, so the durability may not be as good. All in all I'd recommend either tool depending upon what batteries you already own.

·
diplomat
5,292 Posts
The milwaukee M18 is the most powerful and longest lasting currently available, I use it daily. They are coming out with a brushless one this fall that is supposed to be even better. I've seen videos of it ripping pretty fast through 3 sheets of 1/2" osb.

With mine, I can trim about 100 feet of sheathing with a fresh blade. Great on a small roof when you don't want a cord up there. I rarely set any of my tools down, just drop them. Not throw, but I'm pretty rough. Seems to be holding up well.

·
Registered
585 Posts
I've used 3 makita cordless circ saws and they are pretty nice saws, light, small and you can get quite a few cuts out of one with a sharp blade. However ones motor burnt up, the other ones switch went (relatively easy repair) and the other one is only 1 month old... This is under some pretty serious abuse.

I've used the older dewalt which was heavier, a little bigger and seemed to stand up to more abuse. Battery wouldn't stay charged nearly as long though.

Also used one Milwaukee, this was probably the best but more comparable in size to a corded saw. It also had the least amount of use on it being a homeowners saw, the battery life was about the same as the makita but it had more power.

I like the makita the most since when I'm using a cordless tool over something I have that is corded and use quite often I'm normally up in an attic or going up on the roof for a quick cut or two and like to have something small and light that I can get into tough spots.

If I didn't have 3 corded circular saws already and just wanted one circular saw and it had to be cordless and 18v I'd probably go with the milwaukee

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
The milwaukee M18 is the most powerful and longest lasting currently available, I use it daily.
Me three on most days. I think with the advent of lio batteries, the game of "how much longer?" changed due to the quick recharge time.
IMO the name of the game is always have one more battery than you could use at once in your tooling....and have that in the charger.

I agree on the dropsies--my makita saw didn't hold up, but the milwaukee has. Come to think of it, so has the impact....on more than a few occasions.....

·
Registered
11,864 Posts
I have a Dewalt 18 volt saw from around 4-5 years ago. Batteries (XRP) from a gun from around 3 years ago. Big difference in batteries. They are used daily and still hold up. The older ones would die as soon as you put them in the saw.

I only use the saw for small stuff. Cutting in vents, quick rip for boarding up buildings, a few cuts for a repair. I have used it for larger jobs and it does well, but I hate cycling through batteries so quickly.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I have the Dewalt 18v 6 1/2" saw, I've been using it on architectural millwork installs and been getting amazing performance out of a lithium ion 18v battery. I've been crosscutting 1x4 and 1x6 ply blocking strips , scribing MDF and plywood panels and counters, and cutting solid mahogany fillers all day long on one or two batteries.

I used it on one framing project and it fell flat on its face ripping 2x material, definitely not the right tool for that job.

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
I vote for dewalt 18 volt xrp Keep a sharp blade in and will be cutting away. Also set the depth of the blade to the material you are cutting. Makes a difference. IMO

Since I have used nothing but dewalts for 20+ yrs I may be a little biased.

·
Registered
664 Posts
Yes the cordless saws have come a long way. I'm sure all of you remember when they were called "trim saws" and literally were only good for that. I've used a cordless PC and Dewalt extensively. The Dewalt is the better of the two. I mainly use the PC for breaking down scrap for the burn pile.

·
diplomat
5,292 Posts
You really gotta try the XRP next to the Milwaukee, same blade in both. One of the few times you'll be surprised in this kind of comparison.

·
Registered
345 Posts
My experience is people buy in the order of, drill, impact, saw, radio, though radio may fit between any of those. For cordless saws, milwaukee has held out the best for me.
Milwaukee all the way....that's a great little saw. Every body that uses mine wants one.

When you buy cordless tools, you're really buying into a system. I would advise looking at all the cordless tool offerings with each particular system.

You don't think you'll buy other tools to go with it but you will. If you get the Milwaukee......by the cordless shop vac......it's a killer!!!

________
Mike

1 - 20 of 21 Posts