Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
I like Green things
23,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the next project that has made it's way into the shop.

I dropped off about a dozen 6'6" chunks of barn beams to a sawyer that I know. He sliced them into 5/4 planks. I am getting tired of moving these heavy this around, at least they are now in the shop.

They will be turning into custom railing inserts in the next couple weeks.

Attachments

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
47,422 Posts
Ugh. Is it as dirty as it looks. How about nails? Since your sawyer resawed them I imagine they are nail free.

·
wannabe
2,283 Posts
What is it?? I guess I should know, but I can't tell....

·
wannabe
2,283 Posts
DUH....I guess I should read the title of the thread......WTF....:wallbash:

·
I like Green things
23,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
These boards have made a few passes through my planer over the last week.

I enjoy putting in my ear plugs and feeding my planer for an hour at a time.

I can run all of them one time through and I have to empty my dust collector.

That timber is old, hard and loud going through the planer.

I had some copy's of the original knife gauge made for my planer and will be throwing in my fresh set for the final pass on each side.

I hope to have a few railing sections made in the next week or so.

The Herbert Baker USB will be put to work right away cutting half laps for these.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
47,422 Posts
How much are you able to mill off in a pass?

·
I like Green things
23,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
How much are you able to mill off in a pass?
Just under an 1/8" with these timbers.

These things are old and hard as a rock.

I think I made 5 or 6 passes through the planer to get them there.

I decided I would rather take a little less off and kick the feed speed up vs. taking a little more off and slowing my planer way down.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
47,422 Posts
It probably works out to be the same time frame. You just handle the lumber less at the slow speed.

I can take about 5/32" per pass.

I liked the place I use to work at, they had a 24" planer with a 10HP motor and you could take off 1/2" if you wanted to.

·
Maker of fine kindling
6,199 Posts
Just under an 1/8" with these timbers.

These things are old and hard as a rock.

I think I made 5 or 6 passes through the planer to get them there.

I decided I would rather take a little less off and kick the feed speed up vs. taking a little more off and slowing my planer way down.
There is a way to figure out the optimum speed / depth per pass. I just wish I could tell you how to do that.:laughing:

It has to do with "chip load". That is to say how thick of a chip is on each blade as it does it's cutting. The reason this is important is that with the proper chip load the bulk of the heat generated by the cut is carried away with the chip. If you slow the feed rate down you can reduce the chip load to a point where the chip is so small there is no mass to carry the heat. Too aggressive and your machine is under too much strain and the heat generated by the thick cut is too great for the chip to carry it all.

Both sides of the optimum leaves the knives absorbing the heat and reduces the life of the cutting edge.

This is why there are proper feed rates for each type of bit in our cnc. And it is also the reason why I can set the machine on fire with a spinning bit in the material and no movement / no chip load. Glad that has never happened. :whistling

You will have to get the formula from someone else. I only know it exists. Sorry :ban:

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
47,422 Posts
Doesn't apply as much to a planer as a router bit. The mass of the planer head will absorb a lot of the heat generated by the milling. The router bit the heat has very little places to escape.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts