Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a GC trying to help my plumber with a question, so I apologize in advance if I don't fully understand your answer. He says he's never done this before, and we're can't find anyone local who knows the answer. Customer wants recirculating hot water loop. No problem. Also, we're installing Geo thermal, which provides a loop option into hot water tank. Great. But, can we do both? (if so, a drawing would be AWESOME!) Thanks!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes, its closed loop. No model number, (not there right now) but just your basic 80 gal AO Smith electric. The geo thermal "includes" the hot water option out the bottom of the unit that doesn't "have" to be used. Plumber basically saying "they each attach the same way" so he's just not sure how to "efficiently" attach both. He just doesn't want to charge me for a traditional recirculating hot water system, and then somehow it not "work" well, and the customer complains they're not getting the "faster" hot water they expected, etc.... Thanks!

·
Registered
19 Posts
It's hard to give info without some model numbers. I don't want to be blamed for doing the wrong thing. I was under the impression there was a dedicated tank from the geo for hot water. If you have a 80 gallon water heater run the cir to that. Pull the drain out the bottom, pipe a tee in, reinstall the drain to the tee, install a check, and pump to the tee. That sounds like the easiest. Being the tank is electric you could install a timer to kick the pump on and off when needed. There is no need to run a pump all times. You do not want the heater to run anymore than it needs. Save on electric.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts