Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Chief Reporter of Spam
6,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dad had me go through his garage to get all of my Pap's tools that he left behind. He was a carpenter for a builder and used to also build houses with his brothers and uncle. So I racked up a lot of nice hand tools, Stanley no 5 and some other cool stuff. Original jorgenson pony bar clamps and so on.

So in his main box from building he had these mini Wedge Lock caliper type clamps. They only open up maybe 3/8" so was thinking of what he may have used them for? Initially thought maybe some type of paper template but these don't open very wide. Any thoughts?

I'll drum up some other pictures of some of the other tools.
Font Automotive design Metal Nickel Auto part

·
Registered
10,284 Posts
Jesus I feel old, I have several Yankee's and more than a few of those Stanley chisels. That is an extended Yankee, longer midsection. Those are from the 70s, in the later 70s the wood handle was changed to plastic and no screw in the end of the handle.

There was noting like using a Yankee on a long slotted screw and the tip comes off the screw and digs into whatever you were working on or your finger

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
Yeppers. A lot of precision & care went into those screws driven. Buildings held together with nothing more than wooden pegs amazes me. Over 100 years old & stronger than anything built now. My Grandfather was one of those carps. No power tools then, all hand cut & driven. Precise being # 1

Mike

·
Chief Reporter of Spam
6,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I looked through all the boxes and don't see any beezwax. I'm sure he used it a lot tho. I'd imagine some of his tools went in other hands as well because I know there's things that aren't present that should be in a tool set up like this. There's a bunch of sharpening stones and a pile of files tho. I was checking out all the drill bits that have been filed and sharpened over and over again. Drill bits came a long way to become throwaway items... there is one box full of taps. Why do old guys always have a million taps 😂😳

Rectangle Graphite Automotive exterior Wood Food

·
Registered
3,011 Posts
I was checking out all the drill bits that have been filed and sharpened over and over again.
Back then the steel was much harder. One could sharpen bits & blades many times over. Not much cake back then to buy new ones. Almost everything is “ throw away “ now. Most would not know the steps of resharpening. A lot of tapping back then as well

Mike

·
Chief Reporter of Spam
6,677 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Back then the steel was much harder. One could sharpen bits & blades many times over. Not much cake back then to buy new ones. Almost everything is “ throw away “ now. Most would not know the steps of resharpening. A lot of tapping back then as well

Mike
I was thinking about putting one of these old bits in my drill doctor. It would probably break the machine 😂

·
Pro
708 Posts
Nice score, I love the yankee!

there is one box full of taps. Why do old guys always have a million taps 😂😳
I bought a nice set of taps and dies when I was working for a commercial builder in the mid 80's. We did a lot of panic hardware and closers on steel doors and didn't have self drilling screws back then. It's been a life saver numerous times over the years

Bill

1 - 20 of 23 Posts