Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am installing uninsulated recessed lighting in a bathroom and one of the lights is a couple inches away from one of the roof joists. It is actually the little box on the top of the can that houses the wiring. I know that the bulb side of the light is very hot, but what about that little box? I can post a picture if that will help.

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you.

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
13,051 Posts
Lemme guess.. you bought the cheapest lights you could find.... ones without a junction box and without hanger bars.

If you're thinking of taking romex right into that box, don't. Romex isn't rated for the temperatures those boxes get.

Reactions: rselectric1

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I decided to just post the pictures. I hope these help to understand what I was trying to explain.

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
13,051 Posts
The framing is the least of your worries. I'd check to see if NM is allowed to feed into those boxes.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
What is NM?

edit: I figured it out. I don't have NM because my house is over 100 years old. My friend who is helping said I have tube-knob wiring. We are just running lines from that over to the new lights. I guess we could use NM, but I think we are going to re-use some of the tube-knob wires to save money (we took some other lights out and some other wires).

·
Registered
13 Posts
Lemme guess.. you bought the cheapest lights you could find.... ones without a junction box and without hanger bars.

If you're thinking of taking romex right into that box, don't. Romex isn't rated for the temperatures those boxes get.

I'm impressed Ken! You have a finely calibrated crystal ball my friend! :thumbup:

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
13,051 Posts
Did you realize he is a Architect and a General Contractor

So?

Judging by his post that he's in a K&T job, he's obviously not an electrician. Nor should he pretend to be one, either.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So, I was just kidding! Once that first reply came in it was obvious someone was in a pissy mood.

Anyway, I found out the junction box doesn't have a requirement other than not touching anything. The can has to be 1/2" from anything flammable. And insulation needs to be kept 3" away.

Thanks for all your help 480sparky. You made my day. LOL. By the way, you may want to get your crystal ball checked out - you were wrong on all counts. Every single one.

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
13,051 Posts
So, I was just kidding! Once that first reply came in it was obvious someone was in a pissy mood.

Anyway, I found out the junction box doesn't have a requirement other than not touching anything. The can has to be 1/2" from anything flammable. And insulation needs to be kept 3" away.

Thanks for all your help 480sparky. You made my day. LOL. By the way, you may want to get your crystal ball checked out - you were wrong on all counts. Every single one.

Try reading Art. 394 of the NEC, bud. Or are you 'just kidding' because you know you're really wrong?

But what do I know. I'm just a lowly electrician who's job is it to keep people safe from the use of electricity. NEC 90.1.

It's every American's God-given right to burn their own house down.

How about a photograph of those boxes showing they're rated for 60°C wires?

·
solar guy
1,917 Posts
What is NM?

edit: I figured it out. I don't have NM because my house is over 100 years old. My friend who is helping said I have tube-knob wiring. We are just running lines from that over to the new lights. I guess we could use NM, but I think we are going to re-use some of the tube-knob wires to save money (we took some other lights out and some other wires).
OH MY GOD

Call the fire department now.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts