Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
996 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a call from a current client that was having an energy survey done and the guys sold him on Led replacements for his recessed lights. The problem is that in two of the bedrooms the cans do not have the (excuse my terminology) Tabs on the side of the can, were the spring wires from the bezel clip in to hold it against the ceiling.
I was wondering if the cans need to be replaced in which case I will have my electrician come in and do it. Or if I can get the Tabs as a part and clip them in or rivot them in position.
Thank you

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
I'm not really familiar with LED's yet...... but how did the trim attach before.... can't you use springs?

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
I think Anderson's talking about these things, which you've no doubt seen a million times. Or the lack of them in his customer's existing incandescent cans.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
;)
I think Anderson's talking about these things, which you've no doubt seen a million times. Or the lack of them in his customer's existing incandescent cans.
Yep....that is what I was thinking about....

but why can't he drill two 1/8 holes in the can and use reggular springs, they come in a 10 pack in the electrical section.

If his trim has the "spring clamp Y" type thing, just clip them off.

Not related to LEDs, but I've run into that switching trims.... you can usually use the original can holes, but sometimes have to drill and lower them.

You might have to bend the end of the spring a little to get it hooked on the smaller drilled hole. Needle nose pliers are necessary unless you happen to have the dexterity of a brain surgeon.. eye glasses are necessary also for me.

EDIT: CAUTION.... Falling off ladders and sticking your finger in a hot light socket have been known to cause cancer in California.... pretty sure it's allright in CT.

Bob... I had to add that for my Cali friends.... had a couple of drinks/relaxing/goofy.;)

·
GC/carpenter
GC/Carpenter
43,222 Posts
TNTSERVICES said:
Why would you need to change the trim ring? Just replace the bulb.
I replaced 57 incandescent bulbs in my home with those. They were 15 bucks a piece vs. 35 (at the time) for the Cree all in one bulb and trim lights. That's a $1140.00 dollar savings in comparison. Were ok with looking at the bulb for that much.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
I replaced 57 incandescent bulbs in my home with those. They were 15 bucks a piece vs. 35 (at the time) for the Cree all in one bulb and trim lights. That's a $1140.00 dollar savings in comparison. Were ok with looking at the bulb for that much.
Rob... Was the light very different, or did you easily get used to it?

·
Hair Splitter
18,330 Posts

·
Hair Splitter
18,330 Posts
I just put one in my kitchen next to incandescent and my family couldn't tell. I had to tell them a week later what I did. I replace three bulbs through out the house to see if they could tell.

The only time you can tell the difference is when they are dimmed. But it's not a big deal to me. I will begin swapping them out over the next year.

·
GC/carpenter
GC/Carpenter
43,222 Posts
TNTSERVICES said:
I just put one in my kitchen next to incandescent and my family couldn't tell. I had to tell them a week later what I did. I replace three bulbs through out the house to see if they could tell. The only time you can tell the difference is when they are dimmed. But it's not a big deal to me. I will begin swapping them out over the next year.
That's funny I did the same thing and it was almost the exact same color and look. It's a great bulb. I get them from costco.

·
Registered
7,365 Posts
That's subjective though. I like the look of the Halo 312 baffle which allows for the bulb to be up a bit in the fixture.

It's more like the fact that they are 3 to 4 times as much.
I guess it depends if you are buying new or replacement. I just picked up a bunch of Cree CR6s for my new house. The lens sits up in the baffle, not flush with the bottom. Similar to a Halo 312. I paid $33 each for them. The cost of purchasing halo trims and then having to buy bulbs would have been the same or more as getting a one piece.

I spec CR6s for all my jobs with recess cans now.

·
Registered
7,365 Posts
i just put one in my kitchen next to incandescent and my family couldn't tell. I had to tell them a week later what i did. I replace three bulbs through out the house to see if they could tell.

The only time you can tell the difference is when they are dimmed. But it's not a big deal to me. I will begin swapping them out over the next year.
2700k?

·
Hair Splitter
18,330 Posts
I think I bagged on you a while back for it too. But I can't stand these kids burning bulbs out all the time. They leave them on all the time. Every week seemed like I was changing a bulb. I am done. I also like the lower heat factor. While the heat sink gets a bit toasting, nothing like an incandescent.

·
GC/carpenter
GC/Carpenter
43,222 Posts
They were these here.

Every time I went to Costco I just grabbed one or two until they were all replaced. I think one time I bought a few of them.

image-2073790819.jpg

·
Hair Splitter
18,330 Posts
Yep.

I think the ones that you got look like wet area fixtures. I never liked that look.

I will say that I have switched in all my remodels to LED's. I know this sounds like a contradiction, I love the wet area LED models. $50, but well worth the money, IMO. Easy install and my clients will never have to change a bulb standing in the tub or shower.

·
Registered
7,365 Posts
Yep.

I think the ones that you got look like wet area fixtures. I never liked that look.

I will say that I have switched in all my remodels to LED's. I love the wet area models. $50, but well worth the money, IMO.
Yeah, the 2700K LEDs look just like incans. The 5000K on the other hand......

The pre LED cans that we used in showers had a lens that was flush with the bottom of the trim. A lot of LED trims look like that. I don't care for it either. The CR6 lens is recessed about 1 1/2" up from the bottom so it looks more like a Halo trim, minus the ribs. They are also suitable for wet locations.

·
Hair Splitter
18,330 Posts
Yeah, the 2700K LEDs look just like incans. The 5000K on the other hand......

The pre LED cans that we used in showers had a lens that was flush with the bottom of the trim. A lot of LED trims look like that. I don't care for it either. The CR6 lens is recessed about 1 1/2" up from the bottom so it looks more like a Halo trim, minus the ribs. They are also suitable for wet locations.
I saw that, and if I had to buy a complete kit I would buy those.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts