Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Can I get an Amen?
1,310 Posts
I've not had the pleasure yet of doing any floor leveling projects.

Is that wet concrete, and then a dam in the door jambs?

·
Construction Connoissuer
2,024 Posts
Yeah, I am kind of wondering about the forming and prep involved.

It looks like you used some aluminum finish channel?

But its hard to see.

What about the wall base, do you use tape or anything there to keep the leveler from running into, or under the wall.

I am mainly wondering about a old structure that would have balloon framing.

·
Don
1,322 Posts
that dont look like you filled dips but actually leveled the floor, any glue used? and seeing that your a floor leveler what brand straight edge you got? i have marshalltown 8/10 & 12 i want a 14-16 for when i do micro bevel 1/16" gap tiles on those long runs

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
1. Underneath the walls we pre-seal with expandable foam and or latex caulking.

2. Yes- this area was "formed" with an aluminum channel so that a different type of adjacent flooring would flush out with our leveled area.

3. Yes- a primer "glue" is always used prior to the installation of self leveling underlayment compounds.

4. We very much like Marshalltown products!

Thanks for the questions. Covalt.......

·
Construction Connoissuer
2,024 Posts
Ok, I have another question.

Say I want to fill in just one low area, wood subfloor. Approx. 20" - 6-7'

I prime the area, put it down.

Then can I come back over that area with a wood underlayment, fastening through the leveler.

Without fear of the leveler crumbling up, later on?

I need to do this to a bedroom then underlay, and carpet.

I guess I just have this fear that it will lead to problems down the road?

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes- as long as the floor is clean and properly primed and the product is mixed correctly- per manufac instructions you can nail, power nail, Hilti- just about anything you would do with regular concrete.. it is most important not to over water the product when mixing. if you over water the product will not come up to full strength.

Also, since your pour is so thick you can add pea gravel to extend the expensive floor leveling product.

·
Construction Connoissuer
2,024 Posts
Yes- as long as the floor is clean and properly primed and the product is mixed correctly- per manufac instructions you can nail, power nail, Hilti- just about anything you would do with regular concrete.. it is most important not to over water the product when mixing. if you over water the product will not come up to full strength.

Also, since your pour is so thick you can add pea gravel to extend the expensive floor leveling product.

I might not have worded my first question well enough,

My pour will just be a thin layer 1/4" - 3/8"

I estimate no more than that.

Being thin, is what concerns me with future break up.

I appreciate the insight.

·
Registered
1,349 Posts
I have been using Poz-Patch to level wooden subfloors. It takes nails,cleats, screws etc. and don't break, very flexible.Great product, but I think they are planning to discontinue?

Yeap, it is gone, another great product fallen victim of EPA.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
A good polymer modified self leveling floor underlayment will accept ALL floor covering laying methods (from feather edge to any depth) just as regular concrete would. Adhesive, nail, power nail, Hilti, screw down etc. Hope this is helpful.

Covalt Leveling....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts