Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just did a bid for a friend of a customer. I quoted him everything he asked for Timbertech XLM floor, treads, risers, top rail, skirts, facia, etc. bla, bla, bla, and an Ancorail system w/cedar. I get prices back from my millwork guy, work my numbers and there way higher then what he wants to spend. So, I just tell him we need to change what he wants. I give him multiple options. Suggested he go look at product and did, said he liked to the Timbertech Earthwind (which is more money). So, he says he'll think about it and get back to me.

Sends me an email the next morning and says "Where going another direction. Still can't understand why your $6K more than 3 others." WTF!

These people drive me crazy! So, I write him a polite note back, attaching MY COST for the material. Explaning the apples to apples thing and that if it is correct he should jump on it because my COST is $8200 for what he asked for. And then he's telling me that others are coming in at $7K all in.

What the hell... So, now he's probly thinkin I'm some kinda price gouger.
I decided to thank my customer for the referral and just said that I can't understand how a reputable company can do work for free. He sends a reply and said that he compared the bids and the other guy was at $8K all in and that probably is box store material and ohhh, it's with Azek. Well, again, what the hell? Can't I give you a bid for that? What's wrong with these people that ask contractors for bids on different things and then compare them as the same!???:censored:ers

·
Registered
19 Posts
I know what you mean. I too had a recent customer similar to yours. He had a 4x 14 cantilevered second story deck attached to his townhouse he wanted to replace with a 12 x 14 deck with a screen room below for 6 person hot tub. I researched the setbacks and it would require a variance from the county. There are examples of what he wants in his area so the variance would probably be granted but would take some time to work through. Exterior sheathing was T111 that had been patched about a foot from the ground was in bad shape at the corner. I was going to replace that so my work didn't look bad because of existing conditions. When I gave him my price , he said he did not want to put 20% of his homes value into this project. He wanted it done for under $10,000. materials were more than that. We then discussed building a concrete patio with a knee wall and leaving out everything else. I gave him a price for the slab. Then he tells me that another specialty improvement contractor told him to deck the lower area. The area in question is only 4" below the door threshold and the rear & side areas slopes towards the corner of the house. I told him he would be waisting is money if he built the deck at ground level . With the existing upper deck, it limited his ability to build a multi level deck because of headroom. I suggested pavers, flagstone or concrete for the surface and that a knee wall would only trap water. I suggested benches and planters. I have not heard from him in a while now. He has big dreams and little $$$ to make them happen.:eek: Seems to be all I am running into these days.

·
Banned
3,431 Posts
Then tell him to jump on the other guys bid who doing labor and material for material prices, becasue he might be bankrupt soon. :blink:

·
John Hyatt
3,658 Posts
Its defentley low ball time latley. The JonMon bid 500 sq ft,moistureshield/ipe/ garapa. Alum rail detail, major tearout with very limited acces small Cal de sak in frount with every one demanding free movement all the time big headake for the 16' tandum and my truck + the wallet shares a green belt with an ol boy and has to be called every time we go over it.Solid skirting.

As I was calling in the three bids the first was $900 for tearout/removal,she came ungluded saying everyone else was doing that for free, and my bid was $2000 higher than the local trex guy. Even for Garapa that I could have put in for around $7000.

I hate those guys. J.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I love it when these people tell me that prices are coming down. Well, no shat Sherlock. But, have you looked at the material prices lately? there not coming down but, quality sure is at those labor prices.

I was doing a deck this summer and I come back Monday and the HO says, "yeah when ya get a chance go check out the deck that was just put up across the street. They came Friday night with material and where done Saturday." No permit pulled. Ledger barely attached, just shoddy work. But, they got it done in a day and I bet the HO is tickled pink!:thumbsup: Good work guys.

·
Sawdust Sweeper
690 Posts
I love it when these people tell me that prices are coming down. Well, no shat Sherlock. But, have you looked at the material prices lately? there not coming down but, quality sure is at those labor prices.

I was doing a deck this summer and I come back Monday and the HO says, "yeah when ya get a chance go check out the deck that was just put up across the street. They came Friday night with material and where done Saturday." No permit pulled. Ledger barely attached, just shoddy work. But, they got it done in a day and I bet the HO is tickled pink!:thumbsup: Good work guys.
I feel your pain there Ajax... Some of the guys around here just throw some pier blocks on the ground and get cracking... People don't want to pay for the time and the extra material to get a quality product that will stay nice for the long run

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
I feel your pain there Ajax... Some of the guys around here just throw some pier blocks on the ground and get cracking... People don't want to pay for the time and the extra material to get a quality product that will stay nice for the long run

Hey! I usually dig down 6"-10" and then set the block :boxing:

·
John Hyatt
3,658 Posts
Its a ***** Gentlemen.

But the Fall is coming,temp going down, nice sunsets, here is a big Bent Elbow with the Lone Star beer to All you Quality Deck Builders :drink:

Its not possible to bid against the lowest bid.

Posting a big ol hope the trucks running good,the Harleys runing good, the little girl is happy, We all get a big one to see us thru the winter, The green mafia is stoped Dead in its tracks and trex finally goes out of business.

JonMon

1 - 10 of 10 Posts