Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sure everyone already knows this tip/trick but maybe just maybe someone doesn't. After painting rooms write the paint information on the backs of outlet covers then install them. This will give the customer a easy way to buy touch up paint in the future, etc.

·
Registered
11,560 Posts
I'm sure everyone already knows this tip/trick but maybe just maybe someone doesn't. After painting rooms write the paint information on the backs of outlet covers then install them. This will give the customer a easy way to buy touch up paint in the future, etc.
Nah, I just leave them the cans with the paint info on them.

But my cover plate trick is to cut paint samples from behind the edge of a plate (if possible). Works well with the metal smooth plates, anyhow.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Nah, I just leave them the cans with the paint info on them.

But my cover plate trick is to cut paint samples from behind the edge of a plate (if possible). Works well with the metal smooth plates, anyhow.
Do you cut all the way through the drywall? I've had luck recently lightly cutting a rectangle through the paint with a utility knife and then gently lifting off just a thin film of color. Then you can repair it with just one pass of spackle.

·
Registered
11,560 Posts
Do you cut all the way through the drywall? I've had luck recently lightly cutting a rectangle through the paint with a utility knife and then gently lifting off just a thin film of color. Then you can repair it with just one pass of spackle.
I just cut and peel the paper surface.

·
Premium Member
1,230 Posts
A local builder puts big stickers behind the breaker panel with all the colors, shingle match, etc. Super handy for small roof repairs and matching trim.

·
Registered
Remodel
31,175 Posts
So what if I have a custom color? I have brand, line, base, finish and formula do I put an arrow on it pointing to the next outlet cover with "continued".
Brand, number for the base, formula. Or just put a sticker there and paint it as a sample for the next guy.

·
30 year novice
548 Posts
I just write it on the customer's forehead, trick is to write it backwards so they can read it in the mirror...joking aside that is a nifty idea, I usually just write it on the can what room it was used in, sticker on lid has all the info needed for paint product and color.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts