Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Contractor
4,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
any tips on identifying cause of motor not running well? It makes a roaring/electrical noise and the speed is low. I pulled the brushes and sanded them down-didn't help (is it supposed to be that easy?).

It's not the variable speed switch-I swapped in a known good switch. how do test the field or armature? A new armature is $100 and a field is $50, by that time I'm w/in $50 of a new unit off ebay.

·
Contractor
4,736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
the EVS adds a 1/4 HP and variable speed-which is nice to have when using it on the table. wonder if the internals are the same between teh 2hp and 2.25hp models.

·
The Deck Guy
3,126 Posts
I doubt this is your problem, but the 1617s have a known issue with the switch. Both of mine had to be replaced and I don't use them all that much.

FWIW, I would just buy a new one. It's not worth your time to dick around with it.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
50,678 Posts
I had a problem with my switch and pulled it off, cleaned it out and put it back together. No more problem.

How were the brushes. Was there a lot of carbon left to them? If not they might be at the end of their life. If they are worn enough then the wire that runs inside the spring will stop the brush from pressing on the arbor contacts and it will just skip over them causing weird noises, excessive arcing and an ozone smell.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Sometimes if you put brushes in backwards/flipped they wont make proper contact. So after cleaning even if they are not worn make sure they go in the way they came out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts