Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

21 - 40 of 84 Posts

·
test
3,322 Posts
We just finished framing this 12/12 combo with 5/12 cathedral trusses bonus room over garage. Thing is they gained a whole lot more livable space by doing full exterior wall with roof trusses instead of continuing I-joist over the remaining system.

Side note: We took over this project from a different GC, hence differing housewrap, etc.
nice, that looked like a mess before you guys showed up. If I remember right.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

·
Banned
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
ok fair enough, for a detached garage as shown, the steep roof allows more usable space in the upper floor.
Could also just put walls for the second story with a 4/12 over it and have even more usable space, even if walls are just ~4.5 feet at the sill. But I get that it's not meant to look like a 2 story building.

But most houses, people won't gain much usable attic space or even have access to some parts if it's steeper.
With steep roof to do a small repair may also lead to someone nailing in roof jack platforms which can leak even if seal over the nails.
I dunno, it just seems strange to me.

·
Registered
2,735 Posts
4/12s Are barely legal with most codes for several reasons, they don't last as long due to heat buildup.... hold dirt, hold snow loads, more likely to form ice dams that create leaks, actually have more uplift in high winds, and weaker truss geometry(flatter trusses are weaker)

And less room for insulation at the wall line,:sad:

In general 4/12 roofs are the pintos and Yugos of the home world, Not to be ashamed of, but nothing to be proud of....

A 4/12 should never be re-shingled without removal of the old shingles IMHO.

Higher pitched roofs = longer, and cheaper to own homes.

·
test
3,322 Posts
4/12 down the road has so many layers that the Chinese contractors put another layer of 1/2 inch ply OVER THE OLD then shingles over that lol...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

·
Banned
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
true a steeper roof is more wind resistant in terms of wind getting under them. Someone said:

"If you're just talking about shingles lasting on a roof, 12/12 shingles are more susceptible to high winds"
which is wrong.

Put a mailing envelope in front of a fan with the envelope straight up and down and it won't flap open, the more you tilt to towards 4/12, the easier it is to flap open when it's less steep.

BUT I just don't see steep roofs lasting noticeably longer than 4/12s unless you're talking Florida or somewhere very hurricane-prone, otherwise they seem to last the same. and what kills the roof is eventually the granules dis-adhering and are left with a fiber mesh the sun eats away.
Most of the country, 4/12s stay put in wind as long as the tar strip is good.

I just think steep = purely aesthetics most of the time. end rant.

add Christmas lights to the list of things that will cost a homeowner with a steep roof.
This video,
~$200 up, ~$200 down, $400 a year for xmas lights over 10 years = 4,000 that could go towards a brand new roof if 4/12 (but would probably last about as long as a 9/12 anyway).

oh and dude is tempting fate around 5:10 mark, hanging with one arm holding the ridge - all it takes is those ridge shingles to be a tad overnailed and it'll rip out like cardboard. Besides the fact that most of the exposed area of the shingle is only held on by tar strip. If grab over where the nails are, there's an overlapping shingle and still only held by tar strip.

things like the roof goat steep assist are good, hooks over the ridge and have something solid to grab onto.

https://youtu.be/u9j_WCBOTVw?t=302

·
John the Builder
16,993 Posts
Put a mailing envelope in front of a fan with the envelope straight up and down and it won't flap open, the more you tilt to towards 4/12, the easier it is to flap open when it's less steep.

BUT I just don't see steep roofs lasting noticeably longer than 4/12s
the famous mailing envelope experiment

? where the hell is that damned shovel

·
John the Builder
16,993 Posts
Whats with the gutter and siding on that grey house in the background?

I consider my 4/12 the Ford Fiesta of the world. I hold my head in shame every time I pull up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,858 Posts
I consider my 4/12 the Ford Fiesta of the world. I hold my head in shame every time I pull up. https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20181223/358692ef5edbf438eddbb30eacfb5d21.jpg[/I

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/quote]

I always thought of 4/12 as the trailer park roof of the world.

Not that there’s anything wrong with that.

·
John the Builder
16,993 Posts
A/c lines usually get covered with a piece of downspout. Mine is in the middle and matches the siding color perfectly so dosnt look as awful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
ah.

·
Registered
26,211 Posts
Someone said:

"If you're just talking about shingles lasting on a roof, 12/12 shingles are more susceptible to high winds"
which is wrong.

Higher pitches are more susceptible to wind tear off. If you don't believe me, just compare standard pitch installation instructions to steep pitch.

This isn't a fan and envelope, the wind hits the roof and accelerates over it. The steeper the roof, the less force the shingles's weight have to resist the wind forces, and the higher the wing speed over the roof.

21 - 40 of 84 Posts