Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I have been wanting to buy a mobile setup for awhile now but haven't had the money. I found this joy diesel compressor and unknown pot and really thinking about jumping on it. Not sure what to offer him yet. It's about 2 hours away from me and h would like so advice from you guys before I make a decision. Your the pros. Anyway are parts easy to get for the joy and about how much would it cost to set up everything to where I can start blasting, like what hoses would I need to buy, I would like a water nozzle and definitely want to make sure the compressor get a tune up, I can't find much info on the joy. Any help is greatly appreciated. I'm 26 and trying to get into blasting as a part time gig or even a hobby. Thanks

·
Bob
512 Posts
Does it run and make air? Is the pot all there except for hoses? If yes and yes I'd budget another grand to service the machine, buy hoses and a cheap nozzle, tune up the pot, buy some starter media and go blast something (if you are lucky, that is)

·
Registered
216 Posts
Joy is long out of business so if you are willing to be creative and obtain parts from other places it could work for you. I needed new vanes for my joy unit and I could not find them.

·
Glen
1,504 Posts
Perhaps there is a well near you that you could throw a thousand bucks in to instead.

There is plenty of cash to be made in this business. get your self a decent reliable machine. It will pay for its self in the first year. That compressor probably blows more oil out than air and you need clean air for your work and to breath. And you can't earn money or a good rep if you break down while on the job.

Get a name brand compressor at least a 185 cfm, airman, I.R, ... A company that is currently in business.
You might check with CAT rental. They service their equipment well and they often have some for sale. Albert Equipment is another good place to check. Buy from a company rather than some stranger trying to unload his junk on you. You need to expect to be in the three thousand dollar range for a chance at good used compressor. Know that guys will turn back the hours. A Cat rental guy told me that he saw one like that. They also have an internal clock which showed more than double.

I wouldn't concern my self with a water nozzle just yet. Can be $400. and you haven't even pulled the trigger of a dry system once yet as far as you indicate. Take your time.

What you need to start blasting? Decent compressor with an after cooler. Some come built in. If not you should buy one. Vanair makes one for a 185 for around $800. I think.

You need an air supply helmet and filter tower. Nova 2000 set up new maybe $700.

Find a nice used Clemco pot or some other recognizable brand which is currently in business. Be certain which model it is and see if you can find parts for it before you buy it. Price? $500 to $1,500 maybe.

Don't buy used blast hose. It will be thin in spots and just blow out as soon as you use it. New hose isn't that expensive, couple hundred. Nozzle depends on the cfms but a 185 would be a #5 and you can pick one up for about $70.

So, maybe $5,000 to $6,000? Keep in mind you can get out there and get $500 to a couple thousand bucks off of one job. Ask your bank what they can do for you.

·
Registered
158 Posts
If the idea is to make money, do what betterblast said. Although there are some deals out there, the 185 cfm compressors I've seen are going for around $5K for decent ones and Clemco 6 cu ft pots that I've seen are about $2K other sundries to get to the point to shoot your first job $3K. So $10K will get you started to be realistic.

If you don't have the coin, get the pot, hoses, nozzle, hood and safety gear and rent the compressor as you need it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for the advise everyone, ill do more research and see what other equipment I can find. Work on building my credit up to apply for a small business loan.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts