Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
Custom
13,681 Posts
TWO waiting on you? Might want to suck it up, put some gloves on and get to work... :laughing:

·
John Hyatt
3,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Even if I really needed the money I wouldn't get out in this.

We have been known to chip the ice off uphill driveways to get the trailer up in the past.

But not this time. It Is Too Cold !!!!

J.

·
Registered
Butcher of wood and metal
7,005 Posts
9 is not very cold, was -31 below the other day here.:laughing: Now I did not work in that , but when the sun was shining and with no wind it really was not to bad out. :no:

·
Windwash
595 Posts
First deck of the year in April we got 17" of snow. We worked on the last deck of the year in the 20s and 30s until last Thursday when the real cold showed up. Windchill advisories for -35 tonight. Not much of a money maker messing with screws and plugs when its cold.

Attachments

·
Artist and not a curator
14,321 Posts
I can't even fathom what -31 is like. I also can't fathom why one wouldn't move from a place that regularly gets below 0 Fahrenheit. I understand cold but any degree below 15 and its stupid cold.

I got a lot of respect for you guys who can. John you did the right thing, the only good thing at 9 degrees is a PHD or a bottle of Russian vodka.

·
Registered
818 Posts
It was bad enough walking outside to make some cuts at 11 deg this morning.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
redwood said:
I won't go out if it's below 40 deg.
Yeah, wouldn't want to have to buy a jacket.

·
GC/carpenter
43,902 Posts
I can't Phathom anything below 35 degrees. Don't get me wrong it gets that low here but it is very seldom, and it will still warm up to 70 by mid day. It was 72 here today. Suppose to hit 76 by Thursday. It's times like these that a little higher taxes don't seem to bad.

·
Love What You Do !
207 Posts
If I need the money Im out there working reguardless of the temperature. Some of you guys are so dam spoiled. I would be inside all winter if I had the choice to. Unfortunately I dont have a choice and need to put food on the table.

·
John Hyatt
3,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I move into the Shop in 9 degree weather. Anything a Man does outside takes too long and costs too much and ends up just trading money that will equal out a dead 0 or less.

I made a wood stove out of an old hot water tank laying on it's side about 5' high on a steel stand. All the scrap wood from the summer jobs goes through it.

I am still running two Makita 8'' table saws so putting them back together( again ) is a good thing to do during off time like this, calibrate the saw helper stand, new cord ends for battle worn plug in tools things like that.

Also I have a local outlet for unfinished benches and tables but they have to be cheep. I run 5 at a time using all the shorts left over from South American and yellow cedar decks. Working on the bench they go fast ending up with very little new money in them. I pull down a couple hundred a day sometimes more.

Working outside in this is foolish, not to mention other drivers on the freeway and side streets crazed by the ice and the dreaded shopping plague that haunts Folks this time of year Maddened further by the size of my truck/trailer. The end result being the equal of a 9 year old " driving " in a 4000 lb weapon.

Lets Go Get Em !

JonMon www.deckmastersllc.com

·
Registered
124 Posts
Started a steel siding job yesterday. Below zero most of the day. Although not ideal, once you start working, you actually cope pretty well.

·
Registered
Butcher of wood and metal
7,005 Posts
Started a steel siding job yesterday. Below zero most of the day. Although not ideal, once you start working, you actually cope pretty well.
Ever notice how it locks up different in this kind of weather. Cold weather sure is hard on my drills when siding in the cold. ( screw all my steel siding on. )

·
Registered
124 Posts
It's the siding? I thought it was just my fingers!!!!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Ever notice how it locks up different in this kind of weather. Cold weather sure is hard on my drills when siding in the cold. ( screw all my steel siding on. )
I've never screwed siding on. I would imagine it would double or triple my install times. Does it cost you much more time?

1 - 20 of 44 Posts