Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you guys do to install real oak flooring over a slab? Sleepers? Also, what type of sealer/vapor barrier do yo use if any? Any thoughts are, as always, appreciated.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Must be floated on top of one by's. Always disclose what happens if a toilet or sink or any water malfunction in household happens. Take it up and throw it away.

·
Custom Builder
4,406 Posts
I would scratch the true hardwood idea right off the bat, too many negitive attributes. Install floating, save money and future problems.

Future problems? Pond hit it right on the head, water, moisture, cold conduction, additional height, TAPCON failure, I think thats just the tip of the ice burg.

But then again who am I?......How did I get here?.......It feels like it's close to feeding time.:cheesygri

Bob

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. I'm not real gung ho on the idea myself. However, they (Mrs.) think the laminates feel "cheap" to walk on. And it seems like the consensus on here is there really isn't any way to get rid of the hollow feel of Pergo type products. Any other ideas or do I pitch the pros and cons and get to work?

·
Flooring Guru
2,794 Posts
WWW.KAHRS.COM

great engineered wood floor that is thick. is won't sound like 3/4 that is nailed down, but it will sound better than lam.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I did a job for a commercial site where the owner went all out to get the floor he wanted. The floor was a 2500 sq/ft slab. He had us install the following...

1) layer of black industrial adhesive applied w/ a 1/4" square notch trowel (my guys called it cold tar) It was alot like Gorilla Snot for windshields.
2) layer of 6mil poly (plan ahead how to roll it out)
3) 1/2" plywood fastened w/ powder actuated nailer
4) roofing felt
5) Brazilian Cherry hardwood

I have never really talked about that job. But it was a nice floor w/ a great feel.

·
Custom Builder
4,406 Posts
GenConJ said:
I did a job for a commercial site where the owner went all out to get the floor he wanted. The floor was a 2500 sq/ft slab. He had us install the following...

1) layer of black industrial adhesive applied w/ a 1/4" square notch trowel (my guys called it cold tar) It was alot like Gorilla Snot for windshields.
2) layer of 6mil poly (plan ahead how to roll it out)
3) 1/2" plywood fastened w/ powder actuated nailer
4) roofing felt
5) Brazilian Cherry hardwood

I have never really talked about that job. But it was a nice floor w/ a great feel.
Was that true hardwood or floating lam. If floating lam, why the sub-layment?

Also what kind of product was the gorilla snot?

Bob

1 - 9 of 9 Posts