Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
That stone was so loose most of it just pulled off. I didn't even need the chisel for 80% of it.

This was originally built in 1964 as a memorial for a local priest. I was happy they gave us the gig because it is very important to the church. They even have full services there in his honor. It had a couple repairs over the years but the water was getting in behind everything and pushing it out. Plus the ties has rusted to almost nothing.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Lol!! No they did not go back the way they came off but we thought they would. :) We had gone over there from another job thinking that it would take a day or so to rip it all down. It took less than an hour. The stones pretty much all fell off. If I had to do it over again I would use chalk to number the stones before we pulled on any if them. :)

Tomorrow we need to put the plaque on and it'll be a wrap.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,133 Posts
One of my first jobs on my own was rebuilding a natural stone planter that was damaged by a falling tree. The GC told me that the customers grandfather had built it and was now passed and she was extremely partial to it and wanted it rebuilt the same as he had done it. So when I started dismantling it I stacked it in the reverse order that it was put together, basically upside down. the HO came out while I was doing it and asked what I was doing. When i told her I was going to rebuild it exactly the same as her grandfather had originally built it she laughed and said "I'm fussy, I'm not crazy. Just make it look close and I'll be happy"

Ended up doing a bunch more work for her after that contract was finished, one of my top 5 customers for sure, she was always smiley and would bring us out beers around 2pm

·
Registered
407 Posts
We had a similar job maybe 6 or 8 years ago - my co-worker Steve did it. A woman had some work done on her house overlooking the ocean in Cardif. They were adding a gas pipe among other things and we had to take down the brick face of her fireplace which had been built by her father. Yes, even though you couldn't tell too many of the bricks from one another, she wanted them all back in the same spot her father had them :) Steve numbered them all and put them back the way they were.
Dave

1 - 14 of 14 Posts