Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've heard people refer to a product called 'Bitchethane,' which is adhesive on one side, laid directly on the sheathing, self-sealing around nails, etc., and which helps to prevent ice dams, water damage, etc.

I've looked for it online but can't find is - is there a 'real' product name for this stuff? Multiple products? Recommendations?

Thanks,
Dan

·
Registered
174 Posts
Actually, Bituthene is a below-grade waterproofing membrane (60mils). The roof underlayment is Grace ice & Water Shield (40mils).
Jim

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
I believe the slang name for the grace ice and water shield started because of its difficulty of use. ( sometimes.) Thats what I called it in the late 70's

I recently used the Grace roof underlayment to use behind the ledger board, up the wall and some below grade for a deck I am building, pretty versatile stuff.

·
Registered
174 Posts
The "Bitu" comes from Bitumen and the "thene" from the chemical name of the SBS modifier used. When the waterproofing membrane was adapted for use on the roof (30 years ago) the first name was Bituthene Ice & Water Shield. We changed it to Grace ice & Water Shield when we realized the name was confusing the 2 different products (about 20= years ago).
Jim

·
Registered
174 Posts
The "Bitu" comes from Bitumen and the "thene" from the chemical name of the SBS modifier used. When the waterproofing membrane was adapted for use on the roof (30 years ago) the first name was Bituthene Ice & Water Shield. We changed it to Grace ice & Water Shield when we realized the name was confusing the 2 different products (about 20+ years ago).
Jim

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi its my first post here. Im a forum user in another place... i cant post that site until ive made 10 posts lol. with over 1900 posts over there it kinda brings a smile, memories of the first days.
Im not here to plug his site. Im here because i did a google search on bituthene. Seems you folks have had some discussion about it as well.
I prefer to use this product under my tilework. i float full cement/mud
showers the old way. I was informed by someone at the CTEF, ceramic
tile education foundation,... that bituthene had not been aproved for waterproofing under a mud install due to alkalines. I noticed some you here
have quite a bit of knowledge and this is why i decided to jump into the conversation. im hoping maybe you can give me another opinion on this topic.
Thanx in advance:thumbup:

·
Registered
174 Posts
No problem with the alkalines in the mud. Bituthene is designed to waterproof concrete. The issue is lack of IAPMO approval. The approval is too expensive when compared to the amount of sales into the shower pan market. My entire family are tile setters and all use Bituthene under shower muddings. If an inspector gives them greif over the lack of IAPMO, they cut a piece of the blue pvc stuff and lay it over the Bituthene.
Jim

·
Registered
10 Posts
I wasnt reffering to using the bituthene as a pan material. I live in so cal
and the norm are hotmop pans. I use bitu for waterproofing the walls above
the pan. I actually wrote Grace an email and was contacted by phone.
They told me they do stand behind their product and that alkalines would
not raise any concerns. I was emailed a copy of a memo sent out in 1989
in order to clear up any isssues regarding bituthenes use in the tile industry
My local LA rep said Grace will be updating their website because of my request to be able to have a legitimate refference available.
this is the email i was sent by grace

Jim i noticed you are a Grace rep as well. You guys have great service folks.
I was surprised to even get a phone call, i got real attention.

Attachments

·
Registered
8 Posts
Grace is not the only manufacturer

Grace is not the only manufacturer. GAF (recently purchased by Elk), CertainTeed, and others make Ice and Water Shield. The newest, coolest product on the block is made by InterWrap and is called Titanium-PSU.
-Best

·
Commercial Roofing
1,220 Posts
bestmetalroof said:
Grace is not the only manufacturer. GAF (recently purchased by Elk), CertainTeed, and others make Ice and Water Shield. The newest, coolest product on the block is made by InterWrap and is called Titanium-PSU.
-Best
Are you telling me that Elk bought GAF?

·
Commercial Roofing
1,220 Posts
Also, Ice and Water Shield is a brand name belonging to Grace, so yeah, they are the only manufacturers of Ice and Water Shield.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Stornguard & Winterguard are trade names for the GAF and Certianteed products. Grace Ice & Water Shield is Grace's trademark. Grace got the perfect name because they were first and invented the concept/product. Like tissue paper being called "Kleenex" or drywall being called "Sheetrock".
Jim

·
Commercial Roofing
1,220 Posts
bestmetalroof said:
-Best
Im just providing correct info to rebute the incorrect info.

·
Registered
536 Posts
GAF is a much larger company than ELK. make sure you know your roofing facts first. that Titanium stuff is a totaly different animal than Bituthene.
apples and oranges

RooferJim

Massachusetts

·
Registered
1 Posts
bitchethane

I've heard people refer to a product called 'Bitchethane,' which is adhesive on one side, laid directly on the sheathing, self-sealing around nails, etc., and which helps to prevent ice dams, water damage, etc.

I've looked for it online but can't find is - is there a 'real' product name for this stuff? Multiple products? Recommendations?

Thanks,
Dan
I have commonly heard this product referred to genericaly as "moistop", which is what it does. The bitchethane refers to the chemical bitchimul (probably mispelled by me) which is the tar-like chemical used in aspalt paving. Bichethane is tar paper with a sticky back-side. This product is usually used around windows and doors under stucco or other outside surfaces on buildings.

Mike Sedillo - Capistrano Beach Ca.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts