Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
At first I was against it, but now I'm thinking of resurfacing this one to save the HO some money.
Framing looks legit. Should I use 5/4e to compensate for the wide joist layout?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
24,787 Posts
Oh hell no, don't waste the coin on 5/4.....:no:

Use 3/4....it will be just fine......:whistling:laughing:

Better yet get some box store OSB and some green indoor/outdoor carpet....:whistling:whistling

I need to go to bed....:laughing:

·
Hack
3,034 Posts
:jester:Double layers of 1/2" ply, and you could probably remove a coupla those pesky joists that way....=moar savins! Those spare joists could be handrails man.:jester:

Dear lord do not follow my advice.

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
A 24" joist layout needs 1 1/2" thick decking. How does this look legit in your opinion? Any idea how far those joists are allowed to span?
-The 2x6 deck joist, legit.
-The 2x6 24-30 o.c. deck joist tied into 2x10 16 o.c. house joist. (one out of 3 at least, legit.
-House with no rim joist, meets deck with no rim joist...legggit.
-2x6 joist face/flush mounted to 2x6 built up beam with plywood sandwich. 48' total beam span with 4 bearing posts. 2legit2quit!

From rule of thumb, span is worth 6'.

Was about to skin it with some IPE, when the beam snapped in half. Now I have to splice it with a 2x6 block and some deck screws.

Attachments

·
Talking Head
5,388 Posts
I'm hoping this is a prank. You had me until you threw "ipe" into it.

I'd tear it down simply because there appear to be too many problems with the flashing and a 48' 2x6 beam with 4 posts. You can add posts but that thing has to have more humps than $10 hotel room if the beam span is really 14'. They actually put ply in the beam?

·
Registered
551 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
that thing has to have more humps than $10 hotel room
:laughing::laughing: I'm taking that and calling it mine!

-Yep, 3/8 ply in the beam just like the headers in the house.

-Sorry for the sarcastic post with no content... just bored...swmbo is out of town.

-Cracks me up when people want to resurface things to save a dime.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.