Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Currently do a job with an EIFS system on wall. Everything looks beautiful and now the customer want something done with the foundation, a smooth finish.
Its heavily textured stucco finish on the foundation.

1) My thoughts were, Basecoat and Mesh over the foundation, but im thinking it gonna take alot of basecoat to get it right.

2) Re-stucco over existing finish and paint to match wall color. with bonding agent on existing finish. 1 coat.

3) Cup grind texture to knock down high spots and mesh and basecoat.

4), Glue EPS board to the foundation walls, and finish as normal.

what do you guys think? least expensive method and long lasting...

·
Want to play a game?
4,522 Posts
Currently do a job with an EIFS system on wall. Everything looks beautiful and now the customer want something done with the foundation, a smooth finish.
Its heavily textured stucco finish on the foundation.

1) My thoughts were, Basecoat and Mesh over the foundation, but im thinking it gonna take alot of basecoat to get it right.

2) Re-stucco over existing finish and paint to match wall color. with bonding agent on existing finish. 1 coat.

3) Cup grind texture to knock down high spots and mesh and basecoat.

4), Glue EPS board to the foundation walls, and finish as normal.

what do you guys think? least expensive method and long lasting...
I would use part of #2 first then finish it off with the last of #3.
Stucco over the existing stucco to smooth it out. I don't know (with out seeing) what "heavily" means. My choice might change if I saw a picture. Anyway after that then use the base coat. Not sure why you would need the mesh unless the foundation has lots of cracks or you just like the insurance of the mesh.

·
Vendor
6,347 Posts
My recommendation is thus:

Grind off the high points of the rough finish with a 9" grinder.
Use a high build base coat to slick off the foundation.
Use the desired acrylic finish coat, and be sure to leave the weeps of the EIFS above clear.

·
Want to play a game?
4,522 Posts
yes, eifs does require drainage. heres a pic of what i installed
See I had a Parex Eifs rep stay with us on a job till completion and we stapled the mesh to the osb the when the foam board was installed we wrapped the mesh from under to the face of the foam board with the base coat. Not saying anybody is wrong just I figured this guy was sent to us by the Parex Eifs company.The rep was from NY and he was a plaster guy. Only had one good eye.

That texture seems to be a type of skip trowel. Very popular here in AZ.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts