Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all! I’m redoing some cabinets for a client now and I want to do right by them but also not waste unnecessary time. How far do you guys go in sanding? Obviously you do the faces and insides of doors and faces of drawers, but how much further is it appropriate to go? Do I need to do all of the insides of everything?

·
Registered
12,577 Posts
Restaining is not something I would take on, but here are my random thoughts, anyway...

Sanding?? Why not strip.... or clean and paint... or replace all the doors, etc? You have to really have a passion for this, because there's easier work to be had.. every day.

·
Registered
2,073 Posts
I do the inside of the doors and frames, but not inside the cabinet itself. I have had good results restaining cabinets. Be sure you are clear about what the customer is expecting, could be anything from a freshen up to a color change.

·
Registered
FL CBC / SC RBC / SC RBI
317 Posts
The only time I would sand a cabinet is to rough them up for better glue adhesion for the refacing material.
I know it can be done correctly with time and experience.
No matter what you do and before you do any work, it should be spelled out, in writing, EXACTLY what you are going to do and NOT do.
Including any disclaimers about what could go wrong such as uneven results in certain areas, blotching, etc...

Reactions: MarkJames

·
Registered
193 Posts
If she wants to go darker just clean/scuff sand and gel stain them or even use a toner to darken the shade with the poly on top will bring life to them but if she wants to go lighter I would sell her hard on painting them because the veneer that is usually on the sides of cabinets you know that smooth fake wood with fake grains doesn't really take stain otherwise strip sand and be there for a month and with gas prices it would end up being charity work.
If you already committed to stripping and doing inside the skeleton boxes I would tell her you got Covid and take your stuff and RUN!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Restaining is not something I would take on, but here are my random thoughts, anyway...

Sanding?? Why not strip.... or clean and paint... or replace all the doors, etc? You have to really have a passion for this, because there's easier work to be had.. every day.
Well the restaining is what they requested specifically. And we stripped and sanded, wasn’t too crazy. I just wanted to know how much I should do to consider the job done well. Unfortunately, this customer is way too easy going and when I ask a question I get “whatever is easiest for you guys”. So I’m asking some experienced people their thoughts so at the end, everyone is happy

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If she wants to go darker gel stain them or even use a toner to darken the shade with the poly on top will bring life to them but if she wants to go lighter I would sell her hard on painting them because the veneer that is usually on the sides of cabinets you know that smooth fake wood with fake grains doesn't really take stain otherwise strip sand and be there for a month and with gas prices it would end up being charity work.
Tried the selling on paint, that she wasn’t budging on. I enjoy the process of staining so it’s not too bad. And her cabinets are legitimate wood, they’re just older. They held up well actually, so she didn’t want to get rid of them, just breathe some life into it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The only time I would sand a cabinet is to rough them up for better glue adhesion for the refacing material.
I know it can be done correctly with time and experience.
No matter what you do and before you do any work, it should be spelled out, in writing, EXACTLY what you are going to do and NOT do.
Including any disclaimers about what could go wrong such as uneven results in certain areas, blotching, etc...
This is a good thing to remember. I always try to be specific but I’m sure I can be better at it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I do the inside of the doors and frames, but not inside the cabinet itself. I have had good results restaining cabinets. Be sure you are clear about what the customer is expecting, could be anything from a freshen up to a color change.
Thank you for the reply! This is what usually do but for some reason my brain today said, ask someone if this is expected and you’re just being lazy or if it’s SOP not to do the interior unless specifically asked.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts