Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a heads up for those who don't know better. I had a job in which I removed the a/c unit so that concrete guys could pour a pad in the back yard. Simple Simon. Pumped down, taped the ends of the lineset, and set the unit in the garage.

Came back and the lineset was bent, and suction side was kinked bad. So, had to go in the crawl (insulated floors, and only about 18" of clearance :sad:), remove the kinked section, and re-pipe a small piece. I was upset at the time, as this was supposed to be a fairly quick job.

Truth be told, I should have 90'd up and put a stub-up on the suction line. Remember, they are adding 3+ inches to the grade.

Just a little something I thought I would share. It would beehoove one, to stub up, and not out, as those guys are human, and don't need the lineset to be in their way while they are doing their thing.

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
True. But, if we leave it a long whip out there, we are asking for problems. Anyways, the reason for the post was two-fold.

The lineset penetrated a foundation vent. I knew they were pouring concrete...duh, got to got to go up. If the the lineset were in from above (attic air handler), probably not so much of an issue. But, if it's from below, one needs to take into account that the grade will be 3" higher now.

The other thing is, keep the l.s. out of the other guy's way. All of us have drama in our day to day activity, and it's a good thing to help make things easier for the guy who is coming in after you.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts