Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm sooooooo sick of revising my stinking bids. "Can you write that up so the living room and kitchen are separate as far as the floor just in case we only want to do half?". I'm sure you people know that when I, you, anybody buys in quantity the price goes down. So if you want the bid divided into sections done at different times, the price will go up conciderably!! I've been dealing w/ this costumer for about 7 months now trying to get this stupid job!!! My gut says I wont get the job (at this point!) anyhow so I'm about to just blow them off!!

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
If they are this much of a PITA just during the contract phase of things, Just think about what it will be like if you get the job. Also, think about what you could have done differently to have saved yourself 7 months of B-****. You have to flush out the PIA customers sooner, GMOD

·
DavidC
2,550 Posts
I don't remember who but somebody on here once stated that the total project = $X. Each component on it's own carries a 10-20% up-charge. Paraphrased of course.

Bottom line is if they separate the job into parts and add them up they will pay a premium for the total. Cheaper to get it all done at once.

I wouldn't spend that much time without asking for some money. They hire us and the amount is credited to the final payment, they don't and we keep it.

Good Luck
Dave

·
Registered
6,102 Posts
Man, you should tell them that the people who contact you actually want you to do their work.

Seven months? Maybe it's time to move on to the next one. I would never spend 7 months trying to land a job.

I agree, think they will be high maintanance if you do get it.

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
24,797 Posts
I'm sooooooo sick of revising my stinking bids.
Then don't. :thumbsup:

Part of the trick to that is foreplay. Spend some extra time getting to know the client and coming up with a proposal that's realistic for his budget. Do your best to nail that figure before doing all of the labor/material homework.

Yes, some will play that game regardless of how hard you try to keep it from happening, and it's not necessarily because they're bad people. They may just naturally have a tendency to worry and over-analyse.

It's up to you to decide how much of that you're willing to put up with. If it's a tasty job and you really want it, you could try pointing out how much work is involved in each revision, and indicate that at some point they're exceeding your "free" budget and will need to compensate you for the extra time.

A worthwhile customer isn't gong to be completely unreasonable.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I don't remember who but somebody on here once stated that the total project = $X. Each component on it's own carries a 10-20% up-charge. Paraphrased of course.

Bottom line is if they separate the job into parts and add them up they will pay a premium for the total. Cheaper to get it all done at once.

I wouldn't spend that much time without asking for some money. They hire us and the amount is credited to the final payment, they don't and we keep it.

Good Luck
Dave
I'm with you brother you tell them if they break it into different phases then with every phase your mark up comes into play again. They cant just take the total and expect it to be divisible by how ever much they can afford now. Sounds like the job is more in the customers head and dreams than in there wallets. I wouldnt spend too much time. I'd give them the total bid and leave it with them and tell them to do their calculations and get back to me all the while looking for my next lick.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I must admit I put up with more crap from customers now than I used to. In years past I would have given up on a customer like that but in this economy I guess you have to work a little harder to land jobs.

In years past I would not bid large homes if they were going out to bid with more than three contractors. Keep in mind these are bids that will take in excess of 100 hours to work up. That is alot of time to invest in a project you have little chance in getting. The last few I bid on had five or more bidders. I will keep plugging away and someday things will improve.

Dave

·
Registered
929 Posts
If a new client requests a quote and has a plan I do my best to quote from the office. My business is almost completely paperless so adjustments like this take very little time and effort. I may have taken the previous contract and added a couple lines to separate the two areas...save as .pdf and email.

·
Professional Instigator
6,872 Posts

Good Luck
Dave

Your welcome :thumbsup: Works out in your favor everytime if done right

·
DavidC
2,550 Posts
Yes it is, and worth repeating;

Yes I do it

I will have 30 components on an estimate. I will mark up each phase/component by 20%

The total number on the bottom will be 20% lower than the component costs.

Take the package at 20% less or the components at 20% more.:thumbsup:

Being an idiot frees a man from having to live up to others peoples expectations.
:laughing:

Originally posted by RBSremodeling.

I'll still try to take credit later, when your not looking.

Good Luck
Dave

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The problem I have is he's a guy that gave me a bunch of business last year on his rental properties. He knew I was involved w/ reclaimed heart pine and (at first) wanted this for a hardwood floor through out his house. Quoted this then he decided to add a kitchen- no big deal actually good news so I added this (7 months ago). Then he got worried his dogs would kill the floor so I had to find a harder floor (still mildly exotic). Then he didnt know if he could afford the whole floor, new base and case, and the kitchen so he had me break it down more. Now his wife's do in Feb so the job HAS to be done by then but he's thinking just the floor in the kitchen (not the whole house)and the cabinets. When he said just the kitchen it was more like "I dont remember how many square feet just the kitchen is so I cant do the math on how much that will be". Well you're right! Cuz even if you could brake it down it'll be more because it's alot less work for me which means more $$$ from you! He's crazy and now I'm crazy from dealing w/ him. Whenever I talk to him he sounds like he's ready to go, just give him my revision then a month goes by after I get excited (times are tough here).

1 - 20 of 37 Posts