Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello guys.... I am looking for a spec sheet for siding. This would be what the sales person fills out to determine the specs on an exterior siding job. This sheet would then go out with the lead installer (who is responsible for double checking materials, quantities, the scope of work etc.) to go over the job and what's needed prior to ordering materials.

I have window and door measure and spec sheets that are GREAT double checks. I just don't have anything decent for siding. I'd be more than willing to share what I've got if anyone wants them.

Thanks in advance. :thumbsup:

·
Sophisticated Siding Guy.
528 Posts
I built an estimator sheet from scratch in excel that does windows, roofing, siding, trim, handrails, gutters, sunrooms and gutters. It has several drop downs that allow the estimator to select several things that adjust the cost of each unit. Job access, distance from shop, type of client, etc. It also has drop downs for things like tear off materials, install types etc.

It then generates the materiel and labor costs in a separate sheet. I provide this to the installer with the scope of work. It also breaks down lots of data for me that I can pull from a job and lets me set my overhead on the fly. If my fuel costs are running over I can adjust my percent on my master spreadsheet and the sub-sheets that my estimator uses is automatically updated.

I have probably a 1000 hours in developing this but it's the main core of my business. I can update it on the fly and adjust things like amount of coil per foot of overhang to the knitty gritty like amount of nails allotted to each square of siding.

If the job is white I round to the nearest piece, if I select special color it rounds to the increments I can order the material in etc. It's rather complex but I can hire an estimator and in a week he can be creating bids that are accurate without knowing my propriety information. :)

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, well I can use EXCEL, but I'm not that advanced in it. It would take me twice that amount of time, if I even finished it after getting frustrated and walking away from it several times.

And, I rather doubt you'd like to share it.... :whistling

·
Sophisticated Siding Guy.
528 Posts
In it's present form it's really not something I can share even if I wanted to. I would need to polish a few things on it to make it more user friendly. If I hadn't built it from the ground up I wouldn't be able to use it. I obviously couldn't share it with my exact costs and overhead in it but I could change all that so my secret sauce didn't fall into my competitors hands.

I'm still working on features like job costing to show how a job came in compared to what when out as.

I've been doing this a long time and have been identifying common mistakes i've made. I've eat a square of siding or lost 3 dollars a roll of coil because the customer picked a dark color my entire career. Some guys say just charge for the dark colors and if white it's a profit increase. :)

What i'm trying to do is be is exact as possible.

I leaning towards sharing it online but with anything it's gonna take some time to make to a release stage. I'm on version 25 if that gives you an idea how many times I've rebuilt it to get it to where it is.

My main reason for posting here was to say that something this like this can be developed in house with basic excel skills at the advantage of doing it yourself is well worth it.

If I get to the point of sharing it i'll contact some of you.

·
Registered
2,495 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, I just really want a measure/spec sheet. I'm not really looking for all the bells and whistles your spreadsheet has. I could design a basic measure/spec sheet myself in EXCEL, but honestly.... right now, I just don't have the time.

That's why I was hoping to find someone that had one they'd be willing to share with me.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts