Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
John Hyatt
3,658 Posts
Uppers sounds like a batch problem. They did work and now they dont. Perhaps their halo has sliped down to one side and needs adjustment.

On the subject of conectors it is very easy, for Craftsmen like you good gentlemen are, to make your own wood devices. And this method has several advantages....I can make a few hundred of them in a couple of hours out of material I normaly toss.....they can be glued in...most of the time the Co. sells the screws along with the conectors those same screws cost me .4 cents per, and then there is always the fetching plus of control over delivery.

JonMon www.deckmastersllc.com

·
Vendor
77 Posts
We went back to the custom we built last year to frame a set of stairs off the deck.

We put one section of rail up and the 3/4" round balusters rattle. Is this normal to Dekorators? Any easy fix?

The rest of the deck was http://solutionsaluminum.com/sr_balusters_connectors.html and were easy to install and no rattle.

I'll be calling the lumberyard tomorrow.
I tell ya, I wouldn't mind working with a view like that! Those steps def look pretty dang sturdy :thumbup:

·
Windwash
589 Posts
Update: we used silicone and it eliminated the problem. If we ever do this again, we'll try and use different connectors.

Always appreciate your photo essays:thumbsup: Are there risers going on? The bottom rail looks a bit high to meet the 6" rule here but don't know what code your under.

·
I'm on a boat!
3,178 Posts
Always appreciate your photo essays:thumbsup: Are there risers going on? The bottom rail looks a bit high to meet the 6" rule here but don't know what code your under.
I was thinking the same thing. Around here, the deck wouldn't meet code - It needs closed risers and the bottom rail on the stairs needs to be tight to the stair treads.

Regardless, it looks solid as can be, so nice work. :thumbsup:

·
Windwash
589 Posts
A question:

Where do you guys start your measurement for rail height? Or better, how do you measure in your rail height?
If I'm understanding you correctly, a board laid diagonally on the stair treads and measure up from that is where I measure railing height from.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts