Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
When I order a door that's bad or damaged for any reason, I take it back. But since you installed it, I don't think there's anything you can do to get compensated for fixing it up. You can ask the sales rep.

Thanks for the info though, I won't use them.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
Oh, if it's 6 weeks to get a new door, and his door was in bad shape, then you probably made the right choice. I would have called and asked about the defects in it before installing it though.

·
Registered
7,079 Posts
ThermaTru just licenses individual millwork shops to do all their assembly. They supply the components and the shop assembles everything. If you have a shop with a bunch of morons puting the stuff together, then you get a crap product.
While somethings are "hidden" defects, a 3/8" gap across the head jamb is an obvious defect. You can't recut hinges, relocate lock mortises 1/4" without butching the jambs up. You need a new unit.

·
Registered
238 Posts
the company should send out a tech to fix the door
let them fix it on thier dime
X2 - Absolutely! I would make them send out a whole new door. Have had a door crown on me at the strike plate so, the bottom and the top didn't even touch and the company sent out a new slab no charge and they installed it. Your millwork guy should have your back.

·
Project Manager
2,642 Posts
I used to install Therma-Tru a few years back. Not a bad product - were on the economical pricing side. About 2 years ago, ordered a standard steel pre-hung entry door from them to be installed in a garage. Door was dented, double bores did not light up with each other, crap hinges, out of square jamb.

Sent it back to the lumber yard, they credited be for the whole amount, since been using Jeld-Wen when a customer wants a steel entry door. Price and product is way better in my opinion.

·
Banned
66 Posts
you need to deal with the higher end door manufacturers..therma tru is a home depot door in my opinion..i don't care what model it is either.

·
175 Posts
I had problems with Therma Tru also. The glass was supposed to be frosted according to the sales rep and the picture in the catalog but showed up clear. After waiting three weeks to get the door I had to install it and when I asked the rep to send someone to swap out the glass he refused, denying that he had ever said it would be frosted and claiming that the picture in the catalog was a little misleading but nowhere in the catalog did it actually say the glass would be frosted.
I will never use their product again.

·
Curmudgeon
11,706 Posts
My ThermaTrues come from a shop
in Vincennes.
They do good work, and usually good
turn around time.
Like Tim said, all depends on who
is putting them together.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts