Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Banned
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,
Just thought I'd post my question here before I go to my landlord with any concerns. I moved into a two-bedroom, ground floor condo here in Florida several months back, and have noticed that both rooms tend to feel pervasively damp, especially if, say, we were gone for the weekend. When we come back, any clothes that were left on the floor for more than a day or so all feel cold and damp, the carpet does as well, and even clothes hung in the closets feel damp. I haven't noticed it being much worse, say, when it rains, but its just generally more noticeable if we haven't been around to keep things tidy. (Case in point: the spare room seems to be far worse on the damp category, and we don't use it for more than storage. The bedroom doesn't seem as bad on a daily basis, but it is noticeable if I don't keep it tidy for a few days in a row.)

Is there any easy fix for this? It's not a huge deal, but does leave the place feeling uncomfortable and moldy, and I really dislike it. I saw there are Damp-Rid (or something like it) bags that you can hang in a closet, but we haven't bought them yet, and really don't know if they'll work for an entire bedroom, as well as closets.

Thank you!

·
Professional Instigator
6,872 Posts
Hi there,
Just thought I'd post my question here before I go to my landlord with any concerns. I moved into a two-bedroom, ground floor condo here in Florida several months back, and have noticed that both rooms tend to feel pervasively damp, especially if, say, we were gone for the weekend. When we come back, any clothes that were left on the floor for more than a day or so all feel cold and damp, the carpet does as well, and even clothes hung in the closets feel damp. I haven't noticed it being much worse, say, when it rains, but its just generally more noticeable if we haven't been around to keep things tidy. (Case in point: the spare room seems to be far worse on the damp category, and we don't use it for more than storage. The bedroom doesn't seem as bad on a daily basis, but it is noticeable if I don't keep it tidy for a few days in a row.)

Is there any easy fix for this? It's not a huge deal, but does leave the place feeling uncomfortable and moldy, and I really dislike it. I saw there are Damp-Rid (or something like it) bags that you can hang in a closet, but we haven't bought them yet, and really don't know if they'll work for an entire bedroom, as well as closets.

Thank you!
The floors and possibly the walls are concrete and the humidity of Florida that is just the way that goes. Buy a humidifier and let it run.

·
Superior Firepower
5,089 Posts
Hi there,

Thank you!
Go to your local home center and buy a bag of pure cement, bring it home and put it in the middle of the living room and cut it open with a sharp knife. The cement will draw the moisture out of the air and solve your problem. :thumbsup:

·
Preserving the Past
3,571 Posts
Go to your local home center and buy a bag of pure cement, bring it home and put it in the middle of the living room and cut it open with a sharp knife. The cement will draw the moisture out of the air and solve your problem. :thumbsup:
Be careful not to step in it on the way to the coffee maker in the morning!:laughing:

·
Registered
1,020 Posts
Ok - Ok now you guys have made me wet my pants laughing.

You should be ashamed of yourselves.

I am gonna go tell your mothers.:thumbsup:

·
General Contractor
3,444 Posts
You do know there is a reason we never turn off our air conditioners here in Florida, right?

·
Registered
244 Posts
With the level of dampness the OP suggests, I would go with 1 bag per room. Loaves of bread would be equally as effective. :thumbsup:

·
General Contractor
3,444 Posts
Ok I know I am going to be called a liar but where in Florida n the 80's when it snowed in Miami?
Actually '77 and '08, as I recall.... but we still don't shut off those A/C units. (reverse cycle)

Seriously though, in the humid months, the long-time residents learn to just leave them on, 24/7.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts