Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

101 - 120 of 261 Posts

·
Registered
2,831 Posts
We're actually not going to take applications through the website. I want contractors to go through local organizations to find their recipients. For this project, I don't want contractors to be looking over all the apps, calling to determine if the info on the apps is accurate, and trying to make sure that the recipient really is without funds.

The website is designed more for contractors to find information to put together their ramp project. There are many organizations out there who specialize in dealing w/ the folks we'll be building for, I'd like them to do the legwork on finding recipients for us.
I get the gist Mac, but what I was getting at was geared more toward having a streamlined way to solicit to such orginizations. Realistically anyone who is not a career philanthropist or 501 3c bareley has time as it is, now you have to go out and look for these folks, thats the charitable orginizations job. Dont get me wrong, Im not by any means being contrary as I think its a great cause with some great pr opportunities for all parties involved, I just thought the means by which we are contacted/solicit our services could use some tweaking

·
Registered
27 Posts
I am embarrassed to say that I completely missed this whole thread. I just read all five pages and am thrilled to see the enthusiasm everyone is putting in.

I would like to be a part of this immediately. My father is very connected with HomesForOurTroops.org so I would like to start by asking them for a recipient. If they don't have anyone with an immediate need, our good friends have a daughter in the Make-a-Wish program, so I will find someone through them at MAW.

I'm sure I'll be able to get materials donated easily. Even if there are costs involved, I will ask my fire department and Lions Club to pick up the slack for a good cause!

Count me in!:clap:
Greg, you're not even an hour north of me, if you find someone before i do, i'd be glad to come up and work with you for the day. i'm starting a project in paterson on monday, so, i'll already be up that way.

let me know what you think

EDIT: Weekends are best for me.

·
The Deck Guy
3,126 Posts
Greg, you're not even an hour north of me, if you find someone before i do, i'd be glad to come up and work with you for the day. i'm starting a project in paterson on monday, so, i'll already be up that way.

let me know what you think

EDIT: Weekends are best for me.
You got it, Rick. I will let you know. I am waiting to hear back from HomesforOurTroops.org right now.

I also have another CT member that will help too. I think this will be a great undertaking.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Im not by any means being contrary as I think its a great cause

I just thought the means by which we are contacted/solicit our services could use some tweaking
Not contrary at all, guy. We have some decent minds on this site - we put 'em together and we'll come up with something excellent. Lookin' forward to your input -

I sent ya an email...

Mac

·
Motorboatin' son of a ...
1,104 Posts
This is a super idea. I'm getting involved. My wife and I raise money every year for Children's Hospital and I think there may be a way to tie this into that. I'm going to stat by contacting a few local groups and lumber yards.

·
The Deck Guy
3,126 Posts
Ramp-a-thoners, one of my requests for a recipient netted me a needy person in Queens, NY. It's out of my work area, but if anyone can do it, please let me know and I'll get you the info.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Please count me in as well. I already recieve input from friends that know I am in the business of adapting home for the physically challened. I have built quite a few no cost ramps from referals. Also, if they are too far away I help in directing them to agencies that may be of help to them.

·
Registered
288 Posts
Nobody has to change any links or anything I wouldn't say. I sent the info to Mac this morning, I'm not sure if he checked for all those emails yet.

Anyway, Mac's going to be running the ramp-a-thon.com website, so he can make changes faster and more easily. Everyone who has already sent an email to me with info, I have already forwarded that stuff to Mac's "[email protected]" email account early this morning.

If anyone has anything else I can do to help this awesome cause, please feel free to let me know.

·
Certified Remodeler
3,207 Posts
I have a NARI roundtable meeting next Thursday, because I lead that roundtable I can bring up the Ramp a Thon as new business. We started on this a couple of months ago (to build a ramp) through our roundtable. I want to see if it could somehow tie in. NARI of course would like credit, but maybe this could be mutual.
If other NARI members read this, maybe you could share your thoughts with me on this.

·
Premium Member
6,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #115
I am pretty sure I have the materials locked up for when I find someone in need. Made a couple of calls today and have a bunch of people on board with this. Lets not let this thread die guys, I understand it is winter, but now is the time to plan for the spring!

·
Sean
5,460 Posts
I have a NARI roundtable meeting next Thursday, because I lead that roundtable I can bring up the Ramp a Thon as new business. We started on this a couple of months ago (to build a ramp) through our roundtable. I want to see if it could somehow tie in. NARI of course would like credit, but maybe this could be mutual.
If other NARI members read this, maybe you could share your thoughts with me on this.
As I stated earlier in one of the other posts - if a HBA, or in your case a NARI chapter is involved they should be listed. (Yes, I am a NARI member - I just don't have a chapter to deal with)

A Link for Contractors, HBA's & suppliers joining in with pictures of completed projects
For instance Mac's - his name, the 2 other contractors, HBA & who supplied material
Or HBA - 5 projects shown, all contractors associated with the build, who supplied materials
Personally - if you are doing just 1 ramp, even though you are setting it up through the Round Table, I would say you are listed as the primary with your suppliers & chapter mentioned.

If you're chapter is doing say 3 to 5 ramps (different contractors), I would say that the chapter is listed as the primary & you should be the first contractor listed.

Nowas for any media attention you garner, you should be the primary contact - but how it is portrayed would be as listed above

I hope this make sense

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Alright, ramp-a-thon.com is up and running. I'd like to thank Seth for helping make that happen.

Builders, please take a look at your listing on ramp-a-thon.com/builders.htm
I've got most of your information, however, I am missing info from the following guys:

precisionbuild
AlwaysConfused11
LNG24
BlakeS
barnbuilder1
JF
PA_WoodButcher
bvs

If you guys could send me the following info on your business, I'll get your listings updated. Email it to [email protected]
1. your name
2. business name
3. location (city,state)
4. your website (if you have one)
5. your logo (gif, jpeg, psd, tif, bmp, whatever you've got)
6. your email address (private for my use)
7. your phone number (private for my use)

Thanks again for your commitment to this project!

Silvertree, regarding NARI's credit, I'm much less concerned who gets credit for this thing than I am making sure ramps get built! As far as I'm concerned, each of you individually should get the credit for your ramp. Ramp-a-thon is merely the gathering place for ideas and dialog on HOW to make this happen in your city. You guys are the ones who are going to put it all together.

As you go through the process, if you come up w/ a new way to find deserving recipients, a different way to solicit material donations, a different way to approach the media, let us all know. The more options we've got, the smoother the project will go.

I've also got email forwarding through the website - if you want an email address w/ your_business@ramp-a-thon.com to forward back to your regular email, just let me know. Might help you track correspondence for this project...

Mac

·
Registered
355 Posts
Mac,

I would like to get involved in this program i see a bunch of my friends already signed up and i want to be like them ;-)

i did one last year that after i was done i certainly gave it away does that count ;-)

i don't have a problem doing one or more for our troops, but don't know a local person to hook up with.

i just emailed you my info.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
After looking through Sal's ramp build, I got to thinking we should limit our ramps to under 30" rise. (Nice beefy ramp, Sal! You mind posting the link to the slideshow?)
Anything taller than 30" (30' long) will entail building a landing and changing direction. I'm thinking that's asking more than we can do for a pro-bono project.

Keep that in mind as you move through the process of finding a recipient.

Mac

·
Premium Member
6,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #120
After looking through Sal's ramp build, I got to thinking we should limit our ramps to under 30" rise. (Nice beefy ramp, Sal! You mind posting the link to the slideshow?)
Anything taller than 30" (30' long) will entail building a landing and changing direction. I'm thinking that's asking more than we can do for a pro-bono project.

Keep that in mind as you move through the process of finding a recipient.

Mac
I was thinking the same thing, but man it is going to be tough to have to turn someone away because of it. I am going to see if I can get some donations lined up if I run into this problem, which I know I will. Most people would be grateful to help with a donation, as it can be a tax write off.

101 - 120 of 261 Posts