Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

21 - 40 of 261 Posts

·
Preserving the Past
3,571 Posts
Looks good Mac. I found a link that is much easier to read and understand than the ADA site. You may want to include some of that information as well.

I've worked on many ADA projects and would hate to see someone doing a job like this and have it shot down by codes.

Landings have all sorts of rules and regs. at the entry depending on the location of the door and position of the ramp. see here

Also, you are limited to the length of the run and rise of the ramp before a landing needs to be added. The landing must be the same width as the ramp and at least 60" long. A ramp that changes direction must have a landing w/at least a 60" x 60" clear area.

More info here

This is a great thing to be involved in, can't wait to build!:clap:

·
Registered
27 Posts
i mentioned the idea to a few guys on site today, and they're into it.

looks like more than just good intentions this year :)

hopefully, we can make this sort of thing more regular.

·
Tech Geek
2,636 Posts
If anyone is doing one in the Bucks County, Berks County in Pa. area let me know. PaWoodbutcher is only 3 hrs from me so if you want a hand or if anyone wants help, I'll happily donate my time, truck, and tools. It's been a rough year for me (laid off employee) so any good I can do for someone with the time currently on my hands would be great.

·
Registered
8,606 Posts
We need something pretty small for the badge. Very small actually. Something under 100x20 if possible (width x height).

I added a group that anyone who is interested in being apart of this group can join. It's a work in progress but it's a start.
You can join it here: http://www.contractortalk.com/profile.php?do=editusergroups

When you join the group you will get a badge added under your name that links to this thread. I'll work on the graphic as we get more ideas.

·
Super Moderator
6,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
We need something pretty small for the badge. Very small actually. Something under 100x20 if possible (width x height).

I added a group that anyone who is interested in being apart of this group can join. It's a work in progress but it's a start.
You can join it here: http://www.contractortalk.com/profile.php?do=editusergroups

When you join the group you will get a badge added under your name that links to this thread. I'll work on the graphic as we get more ideas.
Nice!!!

·
Super Moderator
6,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Maybe I missed this but.

Would it not be a good idea if there was a place on the site that someone could submit a request to have a ramp built and it would be assigned to the closest contractor to the requested area?

If it is there already I apologize
I like where your headed with this, it could make it easy for the people in need to get help!

·
Professional Instigator
6,872 Posts
I like where your headed with this, it could make it easy for the people in need to get help!
That's what I am thinking. Plus I could put a link to the site on my website leading more people in need to it. Even those not in my neck of the woods.

I get a lot of out of town hits to my site

·
Registered
8,606 Posts
Yes, I was just pointing out there was another site and it has some good ideas/info on it. Like the application. Thought it might be a good reference point.

·
Professional Instigator
6,872 Posts
Yes, I was just pointing out there was another site and it has some good ideas/info on it. Like the application. Thought it might be a good reference point.
Gotcha I thought you were pointing out we were retarded and looking at the wrong site:blink:

I think that is were Mac originally got the idea from.

·
Certified Remodeler
3,207 Posts
Great plan.
I won't be joining this group because last month I got my NARI roundtable to agree to a ramp to be built in the spring. But I would be glad to pass along that design along with the Ramp-a-Thon concept.
No matter who does it, its a good thing to give back to your community.
Nice to see this happening.

·
Registered
288 Posts
If that other site wasn't regional to Washington state, we probably wouldn't have decided to start another website. There are some great ideas there on that site.

What do you guys thing about having a "request a ramp" form on the site? I am on the fence leaning away from this idea and here is my logic:

The original intention for the website is for it to primarily be a website for a contractor to go to figure out how to initiate a Ramp-a-thon locally. This will include information on how to find someone in need.

There are some logistical issues to allowing people to request a ramp. I don't see a viable way to find builders in the area of the "requestee," unless we had staffers working for the website who could do local outreach, or something like that.

In keeping the website national, I think if the website provides the information and "how-to," and then the builder, donors, and other local participants connect to people in need, that seems like a good model.

What do you guys think? I'm open to whatever, as long as it works on a practical level.

Good ideas, and I love the badge idea. Make it a club, or a "tribe" that you have to earn your way into by building a ramp!

·
Preserving the Past
3,571 Posts
2 things

1. First problem, if someone submits a request and gets a crappy ramped built it may put a black eye on the site

What if they submit photo's of existing structure with a sketch and dimensions of the proposed ramps? If they aren't able to do that they shouldn't be building it under this group name.

2. You post the areas ramp-a-thon is available based on the areas that contractors on board are from and the areas they serve
A map of the US would be cool with areas shaded different colors for contractor coverage and contractors needed.

I would like to add that you might consider calling it "National Ramp-a-Thon"
So we don't step on any toe's.

21 - 40 of 261 Posts