Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to put a vinyl floor into a dining room of a home, but the surrounding hardwood floors are different heights. One hardwood floor is 3/4" above the subfloor. The other is 1/4" above.

The subfloor is made of of 2x10 boards nailed on top of the joists. A few of the gaps between the boards are up to 1/2".

A family friend who is a retired flooring contractor said he would fill the gaps between the boards with some cord or tubing carpet installers use to stop the draught coming through the floor boards and then mix SLC thicker than normal and float the difference between the two floors.

That did not seem like a very good idea to me, making SLC thicker and trying to float it flat but not level.

I would feel more comfortable stapling felt paper over the floorboards then making rails for the appropriate heights of each side and running a straight edge over them to make whatever mud mixture I use flat.

Feather Finish is too expensive for what the homeowner (a friend I am helping) is willing to spend. I was at first thinking thinset, but I read that would not be appropriate to raise the floor.

Does anybody have any suggestions on what to use?

I could also just use lauan as an underlayment, and then the vinyl floor would match perfectly with one side of the hardwood floor, but the threshold would still have to cover nearly a 1/2" step on the other side. The homeowner/friend would be content with this, but I know there is a less sloppy solution.

·
General Contractor
8,051 Posts
Where from and introduction would help...You a painter, so hire flooring guy he will have an answer for you.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Since you would need underlayment anyways for the gaps in the boards your last paragraph sounds like your answer. Then appropriate thresholds. On the 3/4" side gradually pitch it up from about 8-10 feet out with layered felt paper to shrink the height down to a 1/4" difference.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts