Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Finishing up a remodel and the HO asked if we could raise the roof on his boat dock. He bought a new boat and has to lower the ski tower to fit under the roof. Current roof at 8' and we need to go to 10'. Current posts are 8x8 PT and staying the same just taller. Approximate weight of the roof is 2500-3000 lbs. What type of ideas do some of my CT brothers have to get this off the ground. I have thrown some ideas around in my head but looking to see others point if view. Helicopter lift is out of the budget.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
rent some(4) Safeway 10K shoring frames( 2 regular safeway frame sets would handle 3K), set some concrete cookies(wet suit maybe this time of year) on the underwater mud where the shores will set, I-beams and some grillage, screw jacks, Top to hold up roof at +2'x" inches, bottom to level shores, chain saw tops of posts with all roof hdw intact, fill the void with a glued butt joint 8x8" and box lap splice with ~4' lengths of 2x10" PT on all four side of each post if possible, stainless HDW of course.

Don't forget to keep some wind straps ready to batten down to the existing posts when raising the roof if the big wind comes.
Allow for tides and wave action--maybe 2 foot 6 inches or more?

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
Some good ideas there^^^

3k is not much roof..

I think I'd try using something like four hi-lift jacks bolted to the corner posts.

Maybe put the splices half way down to be able to make them stronger.

Got any pics?

·
Registered
555 Posts
Cut it loose and lift off with crane or better yet you might be able to find a dirt contractor with a good sized hoe to lift it off and back on. If you could get close enough that is. Around here the crane guys get big money though.

·
Registered
902 Posts
Ive done exact same job. I lag bolted 4 foot 4x4s to the posts, set bottle jacks on them and raised roof. Put two sections of 4x4 on each post so you can remove your jacks and place wood pieces. Have a sleeve made that ties the pole pieces to the bottom pole. 2 of us did this job in 2 days.
Did you have a sleeve welded up by someone?

...oh how I wish I had a dock setup like that...

·
Registered
2,565 Posts
This was my thought>
Cut each post one at a time,weld 2 pieces of U shaped steel around post to form a long sleeve.This will now hold the post in place.
After all for posts are secured,jack up all 4 posts at the same time to desired height.
By leaving part of the sleeve open,a plate can be welded at the bottom of upper section of the post to hold it in place.Through bolt in a couple areas,and close up access area with steel.

Attachments

·
Head Grunt
3,270 Posts
How about taking the metal off, firing up a sawzall and cutting all the nails and screws and dismantle the roof but save the material. Then raise up the posts and put the roof back together. Couple guys could have that roof off in less than a day and probably back on in another day. Considering the time and man power it may take to cut/sleeve/jack with possibility of winds I think you may find it is quicker and safer in the long run to dismantle and reassemble.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.